Scheduled task failed and succeeded?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Faust, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faust

Faust Registered Member

Ever since the most recent update for TI 2009 I now just run full images via the scheduler. I have it set for three full images which means that when the fourth image is run the first one in time is automatically deleted FIFO - TI cannot consolidate full images.

What I have noticed since employing this method is that the backup calendar shows that each image has failed. However, on checking the logs what this shows is an error message part way through - "Backup date was not found" this message comes immediately after the log "consolidate backup archive location". The message immediately before the "consolidate backup archive location" is a log report "pending operation 135 started: saving partition structure". Following the error message the log then shows "operation has succeeded". All these logs show exactly the same time including seconds.

I have validated the images and they always validate. I have also restored the images and they restore without incident too.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? o_O

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

ATI 12/2009 isn't really deisgned for the multiple copy, rotating, FIFO, automanagement of backups. A happy workaround takes advantage of a loophole in the system that lets folks have the nearly the same automanagment, with multiple copies of full backups, as in ATI 10 and 11. My guess is, inasmuch as this wasn't what the programmers envisaged for program use, the error handling routines they wrote didn't anticpate the workaround as an intentional circumstance. I suspect the "error" is innocuous. Lets hope that this one "bug" won't be fixed!

3. widbcc

widbcc Registered Member

Tonight's ATIH 2009 backup of my C drive (full backup) reported on the log "Operation has succeeded."
    When I returned to my computer after a couple of hours, and the screen saver ended, I found a message on the screen that ATIH 2009 had terminated abnormally and did I want to report the failure to Microsoft. I said yes. I haven't looked at the Microsoft Dumpprep log yet. But I did look at the ATIH 2009 task list, and it shows that the backup that succeeded is still running.

Suffice it to say that this version of ATIH 2009, even after the valiant and diligent efforts of the software engineers who work on it, has more bugs than food left on the ground at a picnic. Many of them are due to an incomplete understanding and analysis of all the states the operating system can be in other than running normally, and the effects of those states and /or transitition to or from those states, on ATIH 2009 when it is running, about to run, or about to end. Not an easy or simple job. Instead of KISS, we have to deal with apparently impractical overly feature laden, complex and failure prone software system.

I'll wait until ATIH 2009 runs the scheduled backup to see if the task log gets corrected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.