Scheduled Job No Longer Starts

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bulldog356, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulldog356

bulldog356 Registered Member

[True Image 9.0 Home, build 3677]

I created a task to image my system partition and scheduled this task to run "when I logon...once a day". This scheduled task has been running perfectly for almost 6 months.

Now, suddenly, it no longer starts. The only way to run the task is to do it manually. No more schedule.

I checked the properties of the task. It's still scheduled for "when I logon...once a day".

What happened, and how do I fix it?

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Assuming the task is failing to get scheduled (rather than failing to backup) have you checked the state of your Acronis Scheduler2 Service - i.e. does it exist in your list of services, is it set to Automatic start, is it shown as 'Started'?

F.

3. bulldog356

"...have you checked the state of your Acronis Scheduler2 Service - i.e. does it exist in your list of services, is it set to Automatic start, is it shown as 'Started'?"

Yes to all questions.

o_O

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Also check the Windows service called Schedule
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/task_scheduler.htm
    It should be set to automatic.
    Regards,

Pieter

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello bulldog356,

This sort of problem can sometimes be fixed by a simple reinstall of True Image. No need to uninstall first but recommend you open Windows Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and end the following processes before carrying out the reinstall:

schedul2.exe
    schedhlp.exe
    TrueImageMonitor.exe
    TImounterMonitor.exe

Reboot your system after completing the reinstall.

Regards

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The Windows Task Scheduler shouldn't make any diff. Acronis uses its own scheduler service, as mentioned above.

Before a reinstall, I'd try deleting and recreating the task itself and see if that helps.
    sh

7. bulldog356

It occurred to me that the task itself may have become corrupted. I'll delete the task and re-create it, then let you guys know the results.

8. bulldog356

...well, I deleted the task and re-created it. And it still doesn't execute on schedule. I have to run it manually.

Know what else is a little strange (to me)? I'm sure I deleted the task...it doesn't take a genius to know...but when I re-created it, the fields for my pre-execution command were already filled in.

September 30 (2006) is the last time the task ran automatically, on schedule. Starting with October, no more schedule. Only manual. Halloween is coming.

What's my next step? Clean install? What's going on with True Image?

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I'd next try to manually delete the task, which is a *.tis file, which should be located in

Documents and Settings\ALLUSERS\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts

The tis files should be associated with the trueimage service.

The tis files have long unintelligble names, so if yo have more than one either delete them all or, edit the one you want (which will chage the date-time stamp to the current date-time, then look for the tis file with the appropriate current date and time.

sh

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

You haven't said whether you tried my suggestion in Post #5.

Regards

11. bulldog356

Thanks for everyone's help.

Menorcaman: No, I have not yet followed your advice (reinstalling 'over' the existing installation.) Given the fact that, in all other ways, True Image seems to be working just fine, I first wanted to try deleting and re-creating the scheduled task.

Seeing as that did not work, I thought I would try Shieber's idea to delete the .tis file (if I can identify the right one) and re-create the task again.

Should that fail, I will try your suggestion.

I'm taking a methodical approach, as I like to do, to perhaps pin down where the problem may lie. Reinstalling is a great thing, but you don't get to find out what went wrong in the first place.

-----
    As an aside: To me, this thread illustrates well one of the big differences between TI and Ghost, which I used for several years before switching to TI. Ever try getting a problem resolved with Symantec technical support? If so, do you still have your hair? TI may have its weirdnesses, but these forums are great. And when Acronis answers a question, which they often do, you're talking to someone who knows the software, not some hired script reader who never saw the front door of the company they're supporting.

12. bulldog356

OK...got my answer. And it's not good.

Shieber: I was able to locate the correct .tis file and deleted it. I then re-created the scheduled task, and it still didn't run on schedule.

Menorcaman: I did the repair install. Install went fine. Re-created the scheduled task. Still didn't run. BUT - new development - the log now shows error messages. Here's what the error is all about. Get ready for this:

Short story - In order to maintain a revolving history of the last seven images I created a 'Pre' command. Here it is:

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /C Rename_Images.bat

Never mind what the batch file does...it's always worked properly in the past and I haven't touched it. The /C switch tells cmd.exe to execute the batch file and then exit.

After almost 6 months of flawless operation, ever since October 1st the 'Pre' command now fails. Being the methodical type, I thought maybe something weird was going on with the batch file. Fine...I removed the reference to the batch file, so now the 'Pre' command is:

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /C

which simply causes a command prompt to open and then close. I tested it with the "Test command" button. I saw a command prompt open and close. But True Image popped up an error message: "User's command execution failed". Huh? :eek: And my scheduled task didn't run because I told True Image to "Abort execution of operation if command fails".

So I tried "Test command" again, this time without the /C switch. I saw the command prompt open. Had to close it manually. True Image had the same error message: "User's command execution failed."

Now this is a very serious problem. True Image suddenly decided that C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe cannot be executed. If anyone has a clue for me, I'm all ears. If not, I'll open a ticket with TI support. If they can't fix this then that's it...the straw that breaks this camels back.

13. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Well, this is not my turf, but, once upon a time, many many years ago, I ran some batch files. Now I let my GUIs do that messy work.

Since you said that the only purpose to the task you left was to open and close the command prompt, it is possible that TI is set up to recognize that as an error, and report it.

If a kid working in a fast food restaurant saw a guy come in, walk up to the counter, act like he was ordering something, then leave, before he even got his shake and fries, he might tell his manager, that guy just did something strange.

So, if True Image is reporting this as odd, maybe it's because it's odd. TI does occasionally report things correctly, after all. ;)

Try creating a real operation in a batch file, that takes an action TI can comprehend, and see if it still balks.

14. bulldog356

Fair enough. Here's what I did: I created a simple batch file called Rename_Demo.bat. Its sole purpose is to rename the file Demo1.txt to Demo2.txt. I tested the batch file myself to make sure it worked.

Now my Pre is command is:

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /C Rename_Demo.bat

I clicked the "Test command" button. TI gave me the "User's command execution failed" error message. And Demo1 was not renamed.

So, apparently, the problem has nothing to do with the batch file. True Image just refuses to execute cmd.exe.

15. bulldog356

I want to thank all of you who have been staying with me and offering advice to solve my problem.

TA DA - Here is the resolution: It was my fault all along!

From time to time I review the permissions I have given to programs in my firewall. I may eliminate a program from the firewall's listing to make it ask again for permission the next time it wants to access the internet or perform some other task regulated by my firewall. It's how I check that I've made the right decision.

Occasionally I make the wrong decision.

In this case, I prevented spawn.exe from running without first asking for permission, and that effectively stopped my scheduled task from running.

Thanks for putting up with me. I'm glad that True Image wasn't the problem. I would hate to go back to Norton Ghost. And now I have another troubleshooting step for when things go wrong. Hope someone reading this has benefitted from my experience.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  16. Christopher_NC

Say, that's no fair. We want to know what you are up to with all this. Even if we can't solve it for you, at least give us the pleasure of watching your struggle to best this thorny issue. We are rooting for you, after all.

17. bulldog356

I edited my message after you posted your response. :shifty:

18. Christopher_NC

Bulldog356,

Thanks for filling us in, and good to hear that you figured this out! Now, I'll have to add spawn.exe to the growing list of mysterious applets swimming around on my system, that I'd best leave alone.

I suggest Acronis add to the Knowledge Base a list of all programs & drivers required by TI & DD to run, whether part of Acronis programs, or required by them to do their tasks. (And, ideally the role they play). So that we can setup our firewalls and other protective measures while still allowing Acronis programs to do their work. Also, there are times, such as while I'm using Photoshop, when I do not want any un-needed programs using RAM. But, which ones can I safely shut down?

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.