Scheduled bootable backup to external h/d

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jcmiller4, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcmiller4

jcmiller4 Registered Member

I want to be able to create a scheduled full backup of C: to an external USB hard drive in such a way that the USB image is bootable. In the case of an internal h/d crash, I want to install the external drive in the PC and begin using it as the primary, ultimately replacing the external drive and continuing the backups. I'm unsure of how to implement such a scheme. I can't use differential/incremental backups as it creates multiple images on the external drive. Should I be using the disk clone tool instead?

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

AFAIK Wndows (XP at least) does not support booting from an external USB drive, so I assume you are expecting to move it to the PC. Have you considered using caddies to allow you to install the drive quickly and easily.

I would use cloning for this.

F.

3. jcmiller4

jcmiller4 Registered Member

I do plan to migrate the h/d, not boot from external. Is there any way to schedule the cloning process? Or should I just give up on a bootable backup and go with a scheduled drive C: full/differential backup using the recovery CD?

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

From ATI itself you can only schedule backups, but variants of ATI (non-Home) which support command line invocation should be able to do this but you will need to schedule this from another scheduler such as the built-in Windows one.

F.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jcmiller4,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that using the current version of Acronis True Image you can schedule the backup procedure only. Other operations like clone or restore cannot be scheduled. We have already received similar requests from other Acronis customers and they have already been forwarded to our Development Team. These features will be considered to be implemented for the future version of Acronis True Image.

Please also note that scheduled tasks can be created and executed under Windows only.

Also as foghorne mentioned the corporate versions of Acronis True Image support command-line interface, therefore, if you wish you could create a batсh file, which contains instructions for cloning and use Windows scheduler to execute this batch file on the selected date.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use command-line mode in chapter 15. "Command-line mode and scripting" in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.