Scheduled backup - script error

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mike456, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike456

mike456 Registered Member

Running Drive Backup Pro 10 as part of Backup & Recovery 10 Suite. I've set up an incremental file backup to run daily as a scheduled task. At the appointed time, I simply get a dialog box: "Scripts Interpretator" (sic) with the message "Invalid argument" and an "OK" button. Er, no, it's NOT OK.

The same thing happens if I select "run now" from the Scheduled Tasks view.

What's the problem likely to be? Is there a script debugger? Log file?

I did sucessfully run an incremental file backup without using a script or scheduled task.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

The script probably has syntax errors that either needs to be fixed or recreated. It might be easier to just delete that scheduled task and create a new one with a few clicks of the wizard. Unless you're familiar with the syntax, you can debug the script by reporting to the line where the error occurs.

If you would like to learn more about the scripting language, refer to this manual:

http://download.paragon-software.com/doc/script_man.pdf

3. mike456

Hi Paragon_Tommy,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried lots of tests, which work. But I cannot get the 'real' one to work. I've tried re-running the Wizard. I'm trying to schedule an incremental file-level backup of C:\Users\user\Documents. The error message "Invalid argument" is no help at all. I've looked at the Script Manual, but it is not user-friendly. I can find no relevant reference to "reporting to the line", nor to "debug" or "log".

I attach my script (in uploaded script.txt).

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Attached Files:

4. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

mike456,

Your .PSL script seems to be fine, however I believe there is an issue in your "arc_180110165621560_fb1.txt" file, please try the attached version instead.

Let me know how it goes :)

Attached Files:

5. mike456

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your response. Yes, your version of the "arc_180110165621560_fb1.txt" works. As my version of this file was generated automatically, I assume this is a bug. Do you agree?

I notice the difference between the working and non-working versions is that the one that works uses FB_PROPERTY_EXCLUDE_MASK, whereas the broken one uses an embedded <E></E> in FB_PROPERTY_WORKINGSET_CONSTRAINTS.

I can't find any documentation about this file or FB_PROPERTY_WORKINGSET_EXCLUDE_MASK or <E> in the script manual. Is the file format documented?

Experimenting further, if I create scripts with the "Schedule File Backup Wizard" they are fine. However, if I create them with the "Create Incremental File Archive Wizard" they don't work, because they include the embedded <E>...</E>.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks,
    Mike

6. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Mike,

You are correct, the issue seems to be with the <E></E> tag being used instead of the FB_PROPERTY_EXCLUDE_MASK, which does appear to be undocumented. However, I was unable to reproduce the error, what build of the software are you using? Go to Help > About

7. mike456

Matt,

Version information :

Paragon Backup & Recovery™, version 10, build 9105 (18.11.09 ) Suite

Components versions:

Paragon Base Services Library, version 1.1, build 9105 (18.11.09 )
    hdm.dll, version 10.0, release 10, build 10505
    biont.dll, version 10.0, release 10, build 10505
    biont.sys, version 10.0, release 10, build 10505

Trying to get a simple file-level backup schedule running is taking a lot of effort. I also see from another thread ("Creating Backup Schedules Questions" https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=260782) that you can't schedule an incremental file backup unless a full file backup backup already exists. All I want is a weekly full backup and daily incrementals with no intervention except to delete old backup sets after a few weeeks.

I have now downloaded a trial of Acronis True Image Home 2010 to see how it compares. First impressions are favourable.

Mike

8. mike456

I've found that Acronis True Image Home 2010 makes it much easier to set up the sort of backups I require. It has a straightforward interface, there were no script errors, and I was able to set up the backup schedule I want - weekly full backups and daily incrementals, keeping old backups.

However, it's not all sweetness and light. If I close True Image, I can't start it again without first logging out. And something I've installed recently keeps making Windows Explorer crash (under Vista).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.