Scheduled backup & Drive recognition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jrude6, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrude6

jrude6 Registered Member

I created 1 full backup of files/folders + 1 differential backup onto a DVD+RW disk. The backups = 377MB. The DVD drive however now reads as FULL with no empty space & a new scheduled backup does not run at the scheduled time! Please help.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  2. jrude6

jrude6 Registered Member

Scheduling of tasks problems!

When I try to create a backup of files/folders onto a DVD-RW, ATI
    requests that I put a disk in the drive - even though the disk is
    ALREADY in the drive. This makes scheduling a backup impossible at
    times when I am not at my computer - even though the computer is
    turned on! This makes scheduling tasks useless!

Also, when using the SCHEDULE TASK WIZARD, in the left pane of the BACKUP ARCHIVE LOCATION screen, there is the option to DELETE files. However, when I attempt to delete old .tib files, I get the following message: "Failed to delete file "DVD Backup3.tib". Please make sure that the file is not opened by another application." There is no other program running to do that. If, in fact, this does not work, how do I delete old .tib files?

Please help. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  3. jrude6

jrude6 Registered Member

Why does True Image ask for disk??

When I try to create a backup of files/folders onto a brand new Sony DVD+RW disk, ATI ejects my disk & requests that I put a disk in the drive - even though the disk was ALREADY in the drive.

<snip>
    Why is True Image behaving this way which makes it impossible to schedule tasks when computer is unattended?

Thanks for help.

edited to remove off-topic editorial - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2006
  4. jrude6

jrude6 Registered Member

Solution to ATI "asking for 1st media"

Whenever I would attempt to create a backup on CD/DVD, ATI would eject the disk & request that I insert a disk. This was maddening since it made scheduling a backup on CD/DVD impossible under unattended conditions.

I sent an e-mail to Support & posted in this forum asking for an explanation. I never got an explanation. Then, while playing around with the program, I discovered an item under TOOLS --> OPTIONS --> ADDITIONAL SETTINGS, namely "ask for first media while creating backup archives on removable media". By unchecking this item, my problem was solved!

One has to wonder why (1) this item is checked by default and (2) why Support was unable to solve my problem. I was about to put my ATI up for sale on e-bay when I happened on the solution. Also, I wasted way too many hours trying to get a solution to this problem when it should have been answered by Support quickly. It has been a week since I first requested help.

In any case, I post this to help anyone who has run into the same issue. :)

5. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Re: Solution to ATI "asking for 1st media"

Hi,

WOW 4 different threads with the same problem )

I always read the manuals first. You can also try. I think it will save much time next time.

As for the deleting backup archive from DVD discs within ATI I believe it is not possible. You can burn the images until it is enough space and then ATI will tell you to insert another disc. Also you can erase the rewritable disc.

BTW, Acronis Support always answers, just give them some time. I saw that for now they little late.

Kento.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Solution to ATI "asking for 1st media"

Hello jrude6,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

We are really glad to hear that you've found the answer to this question on your own.

Please be aware that, as _Kento_ has already mentioned above, the current version of Acronis True Image does not allow deleting individual files on DVD.

(1.) The point is that there was no such option in the previous versions of Acronis True Image and the program has always asked to insert the first volume when it was saving backups to a removable media such as CD or DVD. When this option has been implemented, our Development Team decided not to change the usual behavior of the program and leave this option unchecked by default. Each user who do not want the program to ask for the first media and read Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide mentioned above can uncheck this option at any time.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

(2.) Could you please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which can be found in the subjects of the letters that you received from Acronis Support Team? We will look through the correspondence and find out the reason why our support engineers were unable to solve the problem you encountered. If you do not have these letters (e.g. deleted them) then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.