Schedhlp.exe HELP!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Glenpatrick32, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenpatrick32

Glenpatrick32 Registered Member

Hi, I've just upgraded my TI from v9 to v11 . When I try to do a backup/restore I'm getting 'Error #1722 - the RPC server is unavailable'.

I've 'googled' and found messages from Acronis support suggesting different ways to 'start' the schedule manager service; all of which I can follow and have tried; the only problem is that when I go to my Acronis\Schedule2 directory the schedul2.exe and schedulhlp.exe files are missing (the subdirectory is empty).

I have also downloaded the Schedmgr.exe file and run from the Command prompt but I get an 'Error 5 - access denied'.

I can't believe this - I specifically bought the program to backup and restore and for some reason I can do neither. Any assistance/suggestions gratefully received, thanks, Andrew

2. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Check in Services.msc that you have RPC set to automatic and started.

Not all systems have RPC server (a Microsoft service) running.

Colin

4. Glenpatrick32

Thanks for the assistance - I have tried the suggestions and read the other posts. Acronis Tech support replied also and asked me to not only check RPC was 'started' and 'automatic', but that Acronis Scheduler2 Service is set likewise.

I have checked and Acronis Scheduler2 Service is definitely set to 'Automatic' - but status is blank (ie - not started). When I try to 'start' I get an error message:

*Could not start the Acronis Scheduler 2 Service service on local computer. Error 5: access is denied.*

What does this mean and why would access be denied? I have tried doing a 'repair' install, and a 'complete' reinstall - the problem persists and I still cannot backup and restore - which is the primary reason I bought the software!

Thanks again in advance,

Regards
    Andrew

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Check to see you have the correct log on credentials for Scheduler2.

Open up Services and right click on Scheduler2 entry, choose properties and click on Log On - the radio button is probably 'on' in Local System Account (which ought to be all you need), click on This Account, then Browse. From the box that pops up type in your user name in the Enter object name box, then click on check names and if Windows likes you, an entry will appear in the panel. Click OK - enter your user name and password where asked, click OK close services - reboot and see if this helps.

Just had a thought - there are 2 RPC entries RPC Locator and RPC - Locator - can be Manual - with RPC as automatic and the switch used is svchost -k rpcss. If the above doesn't work, check that RPC is using the NT AUTHORITY account and see if things spring into life.

Colin

6. Glenpatrick32

Colin, thanks for your suggestions and advice - which I have followed through carefully - however it is still not working. I just cannot start the scheduler.

I've just installed the program separately on my laptop and it all works perfectly. In doing so I've noticed that the schedul2.exe and schedulhlp.exe files exist in my 'Program files/Common files/Acronis/Schedule2' folder on the laptop (whereas on my desktop, which is where I originally downloaded and installed TrueImage, they are missing - the folder is empty). I therefore copied the two files from the folder on my laptop to a portable drive and tried to copy them into the 'Schedule2' folder on my desktop however - even though it was 'blank' - it would not accept them. I've sort of convined myself that the fact these two fiules are 'missing' must be something to do with my problems. Any thoughts?

I did find, on another thread, a suggestion to download a 'Scheduler.zip' file and try running that however the links all seem obsolete and I cannot find the zip file anywhere on the Acronis servers, or through a google search.

Regards
    Andrew

7. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You might try re-installing TI on your desktop and choose the option to do a repair. This corrected a similar problem for me with TI9.

8. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Do a repair install , that should solve it.

9. Glenpatrick32

Guys, thanks for all your assistance but I am really struggling with this - none of the suggestions seems to work.

I do not have schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe - they are missing from my computer - the directory where I believe they are supposed to be is 'blank' and I have both 'reinstalled' and also 'repair installed' twice. I have searched for the files manually on my computer but without any success. Acronis Tech help suggested I run these from Windows Task Manager but I cannot therefore 'browse' for the files to run them. Repeat installs of TI does not sort the problem either - they are still missing.

Please see attached screen prints from a) - services.msc displaying the error message that occurs when I try to run scheduler (even though status is set to 'Automatic'), and b) directory listing "Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2" which shows that the two files are not resident there - I believe they should be?? I also attach c) a screen print of the result when I try to run the downloaded file schedmgr.exe - as you can see I cannot 'start' the file no matter what - it generates an Error - 'Access is denied'.

Is there anything else you suggest I try (politely please!).

Regards
    Andrew

Attached Files:

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Uninstall TI completely and then re-install.

11. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

once I couldn't get the scheduler to work, it was related to a configuration with my firewall (zone alarm). Maybe theres a program on your computer that see's the sched.exe as suspect and won't allow it to be installed.

But if it is a software configuration problem, disabling the software probably won't fix, you might have to completely remove the software. Even when you disable some software (especially antivirus) they still lurk in the background.

If you checked everything else, that's where I would start looking next.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Glenpatrick32,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following (if you haven't done so yet):

- Download schedmgr.exe application;
    - Place schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe files from this ZIP archive to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder.
    - Run schedmgr application;
    - Issue the following commands:

service install
    service start

- Close schedmgr.

If the problem persists, could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.