Scenarios and long winded questions thanks!!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by sunrise, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunrise

sunrise Registered Member

I have questions on archive, import/export, compressed. Read thru many posts here but still abit confused...

Here's my scenario:
    I have one single HD, two partitions C and D. I use D to store data only.
    I intend to fresh install my pc from scratch. After installing Vista, then the very next software to install is the FDISR. After tht, create the secondary snapshot. This snapshot, i call it 'Clean OS'. I will then continue to install apps on the primary snapshot.

After install necessary apps, i create another snapshot call 'OS with App' (bad name..). the primary snapshot will be used for daily stuff. Addition of any app if i wanted to keep it, i will update OS with App snapshot.

Question:
    1. Data anchoring -> Only for folders/data that is in C partition right?

2. I think i may want 'Clean OS' snapshot to be store elsewhere, as i may not require booting to that snapshot often, only when emergency e.g. As such, I know i can move the snapshot to other location. Another location for snapshot is call 'Archive' in FDISR right?

Since i have already created the Clean OS snapshot, to move it i can only use export function?

3. I know export function can be use to burn to DVD/CD. However, if i specify a location in my HDD for the export, then i use my own burn program to burn the .arx file to DVD, is that ok? So to use this archive from DVD, either i use import (specifying the DVD drive in archive options) or copy the arx file back to the original archive folder in my HDD, then use use import function?

If yes to using import function, i know i can specify a new snapshot or existing snapshot. If i choose OS with APP snapshot as the destination, what will happen to the OS with APP snapshot in the end? Exactly the same as Clean OS? or? Becos i read from help that 'if destination snapshot exist, only files that are different will be copied'

4. I read that i cannot boot from archive. So this 'Clean OS' archive's purpose can be use to update either the Primary snapshot or the OS with App snapshot, so either one of the snapshot will become a exact image of the Clean OS. right?

5. The import and Create/Update function for my archive, whats the difference between the two?

6. When using Create/Copy, there are three things i can do, I can create new snapshot, create new archive, create new compressed snapshot.

I read from the readme that 'An archive of a compressed snapshot is not compressed. That is, if you restore an archive of a compressed snapshot the resultant snapshot is not compressed unless the snapshot is explicitly
    created as compressed.'

i thought an archive is compress by default?

sorry for the long questions, but im pretty excited by this software :D

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Sunrise,
    1. In theory anchoring of folders/files counts for all objects on your harddisk, but it is mostly used for the folder "My Documents", because this folder grows and grows.
    Since you stored your data on partition [D:], you don't need to anchor "My Documents" anymore. I have a similar setup, except that my data partition [D:] is on a second harddisk.
    Anchoring is only possible on the system partition [C:].
    FDISR ignores any other partition than [C:].

2. If you don't use the 'Clean OS' snapshot very much, you better create an archive of this snapshot.
    To make sure the restore works, you might create a test snapshot and restore the archive and boot in that snapshot. If everything is normal you remove the test snapshot and the 'Clean OS' snapshot.

3. You can create an archive on your internal harddisk and burn it afterwards on DVD as long the archive is smaller than the maximum capacity of the DVD, otherwise you have to use EXPORT.
    You can import the archive to a new snapshot, when you need it.

It would be faster and safer if you would use an EXTERNAL HARDDISK, which can also be used for Image Backup.
    DVD's aren't so reliable as harddisks.
    DVD/CD's are for music, photos, movies, NOT for data.

4. Is correct.

5. Import/Export and Copy/Update are similar, but Import/Export are usually used for CD/DVD.
    Most users use Copy/Update to do everything : create, copy, update, archive, restore.

6. I've to check this out, never bothered about that. Maybe someone else can answer that question.
    I do things always the same way and all my archives are blue.

3. sunrise

first thankas erik for your help :)
    with regards to the statement 'Import/Export and Copy/Update are similar', the question i asked 'if use import, and if destination is an existing snapshot, only files that are different will be copied' > for this, does it means that if import to existing snapshot, or copy/update to existing snapshot, the end results will be the same; destination will be exact replica of the source?

Im trying not to confuse with 'sync' on this, as me using syncback, so thought of 'if source have, destination do not have, or destination have, source do not have, what will happen etc ...:p

4. ErikAlbert

Since there isn't much experience with Import/Export in this forum, you have to test everything yourself.
    In theory I assume that Import of "Clean OS" snapshot to an existing primary snapshot will result in a primary snapshot = Clean OS snapshot, but nobody uses Import or Export, we all use Copy/Update.

Copy/Update from Clean OS snapshot to any other existing snapshot or new snapshot will always create a snapshot = Clean OS snapshot.

Copy/update creates always IDENTICAL snapshots and the source snapshot/archive always decides what the destination snapshot/archive will be.
    After copy/update the destination snapshot/archive = source snapshot/archive.

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

with regards to the statement 'Import/Export and Copy/Update are similar', the question i asked 'if use import, and if destination is an existing snapshot, only files that are different will be copied' > for this, does it means that if import to existing snapshot, or copy/update to existing snapshot, the end results will be the same; destination will be exact replica of the source?

Exactly

Im trying not to confuse with 'sync' on this, as me using syncback, so thought of 'if source have, destination do not have, or destination have, source do not have, what will happen etc ...

Import = Copy / Update Clean OS.arx (is considered Source) is different from existing Clean OS (considered Destination) Source will over ride destination.

...screamer

6. ErikAlbert

Sunrise,
    Suppose you have an archived snapshot on a DVD-RW and you want to update that archived snapshot with Export or Copy/Update.
    This will require alot of writing on the DVD-RW, because both functions will add, delete and replace objects, until the destination archive on DVD is equal to the source snapshot.
    Are you really going to trust all that writing to a DVD-RW ? I wish you good luck.

What is the alternative ?
    Update that archived snapshot on an internal harddisk and burn it back on a DVD-RW. Quite cumbersome isn't it ?

I update my archived snapshots directly on an external harddisk in less than a minut, because my Windows + Applications, don't change that much.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't think you can archive to a rewritable DVD. You would have to archive on disk and then write the DVD. May be wrong, but I don't think you can random access and just rewrite certain parts of a file on DVD.

8. sunrise

i agree that backing the archive to DVD is not a good idea..but before i get hold of an external HDD, im thinking of living with 2 snapshot + 1 archive in my internal HDD..hoping the space is enough..

My HDD is 300GB, my current C partition is 100, whereas 200 is the D partition for my data. With OS + key applications (security, office etc), around 30 GB is being taken up in C partition.

With OS only + FDISR, its around 8 GB.

OS only + FDISR will be archive (yet to do this as i intend to start from scratch once i sort this out) = < 8 GB

OS + Key applications (currently in use) = 30 GB = Primary snapshot

Secondary snapshot of current = 30 GB

This arrangement will allow me to test new software etc whenever i need and remove them if i want to as well. If need to start from scratch, i can use the archive to update one of the snapshot.

But with 30+30+ ~6 GB = 66 GB, my C partition is now around less than 40 GB.

As for my data partition of around 200 GB i realize i do not need that much.. What is the optimum HDD space i should allocate to the C partition? Becos after creating the secondary snapshot, when i boot to it, it seems abit slow...before using FDISR, it was very smooth and fast. i thought perhaps i need to defrag, saw many comments on PD and UD and some say need to exclude the ISR folder, some say do no need as no effect..

If i use UD to defrag from any active snapshot, i know it will defrag other snapshot as well, is this good or bad? Do i need to exclude ISR folder?

9. ErikAlbert

Sunrise,
    WOW 30gb for Windows + FDISR + Applications ? You must have alot of applications. Let me calculate :
    30gb x maximum 10 snapshots = 300gb, which is the maximum capacity of your harddisk.

So you have to reduce the maximum of 10 snapshots to maybe 3 or 4.
    30gb x 3 = 90gb + elbowroom
    30gb x 4 = 120gb + elbowroom
    Maybe 120gb or 150gb could be the size of your system partition [C:]

You can store your archived snapshot in a folder on your data partition [D:]

The question is : Do you really need Immediate System Recovery with MULTIPLE snapshots ?
    There are other solutions that require less space, like DeepFreeze, ShadowUser, Returnil (newcomer), ...

I can't comment on UD, I use PerfectDisk which is compatible with FDISR.
    Maybe other members can give you better advice. :)

10. sunrise

Do i really need? When i saw how much space ISR takes, me do start to think about other solutions.. I know there are many postings on DF, SU etc but yet to really go in detail..(learning step by step).

Will the two u mention able to meet my needs?

1. I just need a quick archive/snapshot (whatever it is being called) of a Clean OS for quick recovery. Sometimes i do a fresh install, and its quite troublesome to get the CD in, then wait for installation to finish.. (this is a feature that i like in FDISR, but is a good to have only..)

2. I may want to test out new software, but want to discard them cleanly..or keep them if i decide to..

Meantime, i will go read about SU/DF...;). just go thru a quick one on SU/DF..they are like a freeze snapshot of FDISR? any changes made will be discarded unless the data to be kept are moved elsewhere (i think so)..and if i want to install programs which i want, i will unfreeze? if tht so, my no. 2 needs can be met..now only no.1...

11. ErikAlbert

You have to talk with experienced DF-users or SU-users. I have only experience with FDISR. I know these software are similar, but they all work in a different way and you have to get familiar with the possibilities of DF/SU and see how practical they are. This takes some time you know. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.