Scanning processes causes TDS to freeze

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Mischief, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mischief

Mischief Registered Member

Hello

I just installed TDS yesterday. When I first start the program it automatically starts scanning all running processes. I understand this is an important step in virus protection and that it may take a while, but the program seems to freeze on me, shows "does not respond" in task manager and slows the rest of my computer to a craw. I believe it first checks windows NT session manager when it starts scanning running programs. I have windows XP. Not sure if that has anything to do with this or not.

thanks

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Mischief and welcome
    the scanning is the heaviest process and it really does take more then one or a few seconds. Give it space to do it's job by starting it after reboot either manually or configuring your processes starting so that TDS starts when all the other startup stuff has done so it does get space; further don't open too many other windows and applications those few minutes till it's ready.
    The Full system Scan is the heaviest process there is and most people do that when they will be away from the scren for a while and close all unnecessary applications and windows again -- good time to eat, sleep, walk the do, shopping, finally find time to watch tv, etc and see the scan results after that. If you're well protected and updated no need to do that each day again, depending on your habits.
    Hope this helps!
    Please let us know how it goes.

3. Mischief

Tried letting it scan overnight. Came back after 8 hours and TDS was still frozen. Will try to reinstall and see what happens.

Programs I have running that may affect it.

Protowall
    Avast virus scan
    Sygate personal firewall

thanks

4. Mischief

I reinstalled and it works.
    Scans were done in under 30 seconds

cheers

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Mischief that sounds really quick, unless you talk about startup scans only without the process memory scan, did you?
    Now with all options on and all antivirus/antitrojan off (also the resident parts the full system scan on everything there is, all logical drives and partitions.
    Go for a walk or do it whyen asleep (if online leave the firewall up of course)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.