scanning logs

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jon-no, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon-no

jon-no Registered Member

Hi all,

First post, just some clarification needed please. This may already have been covered but I am new here so....

After a NOD32 scan I seem to get a heap of error messages like the one below.

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\AcroPro\EFG\Data1.cab »CAB »HTML2PDF.api »GZ - error - unknown compression method"

Now I don't profess to be an expert in virus or anti-virus activities, however, if a legitimate program, (file) cannot be opened by NOD32 for scanning purposes such as the one shown above because of "an unknown compression method", and an error is produced. Isn't it possible for people that write code to hack, or write viri to make it so that their code cannot be opened and checked by NOD32 thereby allowing, virus attacks, trojans etc etc etc to infiltrate a system?

I would really appreciate some ideas on this.

Thanks

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello jon-no and welcome !

The message you receive is normal because at that moment NOD32 cannot identify this compression method and it cannot get into it so it cannot be checked when it is compressed . However , when a file needs to be used , it must be decompressed and when this happens NOD32 will check the file and will decide if it is malicius one . Adobe files are less likely to be infected , by the way .

No , because as I said to be active malware should be decompressed.When nit is decompressed all AV software can check it.If the file is not recognised by Windows , it cannot be executed => so it cannot infiltrate a system . NOD32 supports all other things to check , so if your NOD32 is up-to-date and if it is correctly configured , you are protected .

Relax !:D

Attached Files:

3. jon-no

jon-no Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification Hi-Tech, makes perfect sense.

Sorry for the delay in replying, forgot how to get here LOL. Then forgot my password.

Ciao for now and thanks again for the info and welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.