scanning incomming/outgoing mail

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by minacross, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I see some AVs have it and others don't..
    how important Is it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    if I use an AV that does not have it - like eTrust promo for examle - is there any chance that my pc gets infected by receiving an infected e-mail (only delivred to my inbox without excuting the attached infected file)? o_O o_O

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

minacross,

It depends. Personally, I'm not familiar with EZ, but indeed the way the specific antivirus has been build comes into play. KAV Personal for example has a Monitor component instead of a specific mail scanner, NOD32 has the IMON as a mail scanner etc.

In case EZ doesn't have a Monitor like KAV personal for example (or something sortalike), your system might be vulnerable. Indeed attachments should be left alone without scanning them first. As for merely opening an email itself, you easily can be infected as for HTML based emails. Thus, make sure this is disabled in your email client - except in case you are using a non MSoft email client like for example The Bat!

Just a small starting guideline ;)

regards.

paul

3. minacross

4. sig

sig Registered Member

Some people don't use email scanners and some AV's don't have them. Etrust's EZ freeware precursor, IPE, did not have an email scanner. I used that on one machne until they dropped that product.

Some people consider email scanners unnecessarily redundant since they are already running the resident real time monitor which should offer protection. As always, regardless with or without an email scanner, it's still recommended to use caution with email, securing your email client (especially if it's OE) and being wary of any unexpected emails/attachments.

Most of us have just gotten used to having an email scanner as an up front screening mechanism, but I went without one for a long time and some people still do, relying on the AV's real time monitor. It depends on your comfort level, your practices with email and confidence in your AV.

5. Paul Wilders

Apologies; a typo...Anyway, in case you do use a MSoft email client, it's recommended to disable receiving/sending HTML based email.

regards.

paul

6. minacross

no problem :D
    I can find how to disable sending HTML based e-mails, but I can not find where to disable receiving HTML based e-mails.. :rolleyes:

7. Paul Wilders

minacross,

Have a look at the instructions over here.

regards,

paul

8. minacross

thanx again Paul :D

9. Paul Wilders

My pleasure - and good luck!

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.