Scanning 1 .txt file result in 2 objects scanned

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Black_Internet, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black_Internet

Black_Internet Registered Member

Hi, first sorry for my english is not my native language.

My problem consist in that i have downloaded some txt files than when scanned Nod32 report 2 objects scanned per file.

For example, if i scan one of the txts then Nod32 report "Number of scanned objects: 2", if i scan two then the result is "Number of scanned objects: 4", etc, etc.

I found that changing the extension of the txts to any other extension like for example .rar and returning it back to its original .txt results in Nod32 reporting 1 object scanned "Number of scanned objects: 1" and scanning txt files created by me give the same result (1 object).

Call me crazy but now im a little scared thinking that maybe the files are binded with something and that´s why Nod32 scans 2 objects per file, in any case Nod32 says that the files are not infected.

Here is a log of one scan, i transalted it to english:
    Hope someone can tell me if this is normal.
    Thank you.

EDIT:
    Well after the initital shock i realized some search and i found that when you download something with IE/Firefox a invisible file is created, something called Zone.Identifier and those txt files i scanned were downloaded with IE and when scanning again the files i found in the stadistics section of Nod32 the route "1.txt:Zone.Identifier" so maybe thats why Nod32 scans 2 objects.

Anyway im gonna wait until someone cofirm this.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

The zone identifier is called an Alternate Data Stream, scan ADS is the default setting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.