Scanning 1 .txt file result in 2 objects scanned

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Black_Internet, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black_Internet

Black_Internet Registered Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Hi, first sorry for my english is not my native language.

My problem consist in that i have downloaded some txt files than when scanned Nod32 report 2 objects scanned per file.

For example, if i scan one of the txts then Nod32 report "Number of scanned objects: 2", if i scan two then the result is "Number of scanned objects: 4", etc, etc.

I found that changing the extension of the txts to any other extension like for example .rar and returning it back to its original .txt results in Nod32 reporting 1 object scanned "Number of scanned objects: 1" and scanning txt files created by me give the same result (1 object).

Call me crazy but now im a little scared thinking that maybe the files are binded with something and that´s why Nod32 scans 2 objects per file, in any case Nod32 says that the files are not infected.

Here is a log of one scan, i transalted it to english:
    Hope someone can tell me if this is normal.
    Thank you.

Well after the initital shock i realized some search and i found that when you download something with IE/Firefox a invisible file is created, something called Zone.Identifier and those txt files i scanned were downloaded with IE and when scanning again the files i found in the stadistics section of Nod32 the route "1.txt:Zone.Identifier" so maybe thats why Nod32 scans 2 objects.

Anyway im gonna wait until someone cofirm this.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Managua, Nicaragua
    The zone identifier is called an Alternate Data Stream, scan ADS is the default setting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.