Scandisc?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cochise, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

A friend of mine running on 98se (Until Christmas) still, is trying to run Scandisc.....it gets halfway through and then starts again and again etc., etc.,.....because of programme 'Running in the background'....she has no Screensaver and all AVs and Firewall etc., are turned off!!...for the moment.

Obviously it could be run in Safe Mode with possible success....but what she wants to know is, How do you find which programme is running in the background??....

I suggested she right click the Taskbar and look in Task Manager but she says there are 'Loads' of programmes there and which would be the offending programme.....

Any ideas please?....

Cochise.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well i used to have that problem on my old windows me system and scandisc wouldnt finish. run all the best antivirus antimalware antitrojan etc to get rid of it. try using process explorer to see what processes are running.
    lodore

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Happy Gobble, Gobble Chise! :D

Not all running backgrounder's will show up in her task list. Have her open msinfo: start - programs - accessories - system tools - system information. On the left have her dbl-clk software environment - running task's. Then hand her over to CC's startup list to reference them one at a time to get a clue as to which non-ms app's she could probably shutdown with little more than a crash and reboot. You might also mention she make note of her finding's for future reference.

GF

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks Folks.....errr!...she's not too computer literate as yet, but I'll try to pass on the info....(Gently).....she's too far away for me to go and do it myself....I'll let you know what happens...:D :D :D

Regards, Cochise.

5. GlobalForce

C'mon, CC couldn't have made it any easier. She can type, can't she? :D

GF

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

She managed to get Scandisc to run in Safe Mode and it came up with this:-

1. File corrupted: setupx.dll
    Location C:\Windows\System

Restore from installation discs.

2. File corrupted: capi2032.dll
    Location C:\Windows\System

Restore from installation discs.

Trouble is, I don't think she has an installation or recovery disc!!..:D

Cochise.

7. GlobalForce

Chise,

She might try updating the verification table that SFC uses, but not to continue with extracting anything just yet.
    Then ask her if she has this directory present - c:\windows\options\install?

In addition, get the version info for both file's and we'll take it from there.

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.