Scan with Hitman after download with Chrome

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Is it possible in any way to configure Chrome to automatically start a shortcut I made which scans (Hitman Pro btw) the download directory when after a download finishes?

It would be VERY neat. Any ideas?

2. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I hope you find a way to do it. Ever since I stopped using a real-time antivirus, I have been trying to figure out how to automatically scan downloads. I download a lot of mods and add-ons for games, and it is the main vulnerability to my computer using Sandboxie.

3. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Chrome being as safe as it is, probably does not have built-in function about starting applications after download, as it might get exploited by malware. I'll keep on looking though.

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

There's the VirusTotal uploader, which allows you to right-click and send any file to VT.

http://www.virustotal.com/advanced.html

Also a Chrome tool called VTchromizer which allows you to right-click on a link in Chrome and scan a link. Available at link above and here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/efbjojhplkelaegfbieplglfidafgoka?hl=en

There was a great tool for firefox which allowed a user to send any downloads to VirusTotal first before being saved by the browser. This tool isn't updated for firefox 5.0 though, not yet anyway.

Not sure if HMP will do that feature, could create additional load on their servers. Might be a great idea for the paid version, to integrate with firefox/IE and Chrome.\.

5. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yeah, I cannot really come up with a solution for the scenario I want; Hitman Pro automatically scanning downloaded files (Chrome signals Hitman.exe to scan when download is completed).

I think this is something the developers will have to develop in the future, if they find this practical and effective against malware. I certainly do think so.

6. guest

guest Guest

Did you ask about this feature to the Hitman pro developer?
    Probably there is a license problem about using the engines in "almost" real time mode.

7. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I did suggest it in the official Hitman Pro thread here at Wilders a couple of hours back. But, Hitman is already inside some routers on the market and scans real-time... so I suppose something similar could be made software-wise on computers.

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

What I'm thinking is that, if you know how, you could create a script that would monitor your downloads folder for new files, and then execute Hitman Pro to scan it.

But, it would probably require HMP to have command line parameters, allowing you to scan a specific folder and to only scan newly introduced files. I don't really remember if it's possible to specifiy HMP that way?

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

http://www.gregthatcher.com/Papers/IT/audit.aspx

Tried with auditing on both HMP and old A2 (you could add command line for scan on A2). Tried with looking at the shell commans, but could not get it to work. Maybe someone who is familiar with scrips can help you

10. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I have been looking all around for a script like this. There doesn't seem to be one. I'm thinking of asking a friend of mine to make such a neat application.

11. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

You could try using a "download manager" with chrome. For instance, "Internet Download Manager" has in the options section, the ability to setup "virus scanning".

12. justenough

That could be the solution, tabacco. Here is Gizmo's list of recommended free download managers:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-download-manager.htm

I'll start looking into them to see if they can be set up to scan downloads.

edit: I just checked Sandboxie to see if it supported any download managers, and it had four listed: Internet Download Manager, Orbit Downloader, Applian Replay Music, and Applian Replay Media Catcher. From the names the Applian programs don't seem like what we want, and Orbit comes with an ad program called OpenCandy. So for my purposes, the program that tabacco mentioned, Internet Download Manager, is the program I should use, even though it is $25 for a year. I will try the demo version and see if I can set it up with Chrome to have downloads scanned.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  13. Ariadne22

Ariadne22 Registered Member

I have had IDM for a year. In options, download tab, virus checking window, browse for virus program and add it. I just added Hitman. So, the feature is there.

14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

And it works fineo_O Did you need to also add a command line parameter?

15. Ariadne22

Ariadne22 Registered Member

Nothing. Just went to youtube and downloaded HMP video on Force Breach. Hitman icon showed on my system tray, it scanned file first, and then allowed the download. Hitman interface came up no threats found.

Very simple. I'm not trying any lengthy downloads tonight, so don't know what kind of delays there might be.

Anyway, thanks to whoever started this thread. I, too, have no realtime AV. Had a bad attack 10 days which disabled Hitman - zero access virus which they have since fixed/updated in their V.127. Not sure where it came from, but I think some uploaded pics. Not browsing carefully enough.

16. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Thanks - i asked because i tried that with free PSOL and free PCAV but neither worked :( However, i located and downloaded a portable version of Hitman Pro and what da ya know - success :D

17. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I got it working!

After downloading a file in Chrome, Hitman now automatically scans the file! You didn't even have to use a parameter to get it working. I'm using Internet Download Manager! As you can see, IDW doesn't take up memory space nor does it use much disk I/O:

Untitled.png

Good thing I started this thread! I suspect many of us have been looking for the same thing! :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  18. justenough

I followed those steps, but after a download using Internet Download Manager with Chrome, I get the message 'Cannot start virus checking program. The requested operation requires elevation.' Any ideas what I should do?

19. shadek

shadek Registered Member

It might not work with Chrome sandboxed (seeing you have Sandboxie installed).

20. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Isn't the program internet download manager only a 30 day trial before needing to purchase?

Maybe on of the free ones posted above do the same thing: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-download-manager.htm

Actually, looks like the free ones come bundled with 'ads' etc, while the paid one has many more features....Good find by the way. :)

21. justenough

shadek, I get the cannot elevate message when running Chrome outside of Sandboxie, for both Hitman Pro and MBAM.

Yes Saraceno, 30 day trial. I linked to that list earlier in this thread, I guess I'll have to try some of those if I can't get IDM to work.

22. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I bought IDM full version and it's working perfectly with Chrome and Hitman automatic scan after download! It's so neat it makes me jump! :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  23. justenough

Maybe the demo version of IDM doesn't support automatic scanning.

24. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Sounds to me like your running without admin rights o_O

25. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Are you sure you're running with full admin rights? That usually is the problem when applications don't have enough elevation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.