Scan stops at userintervention popups, and notifications pops over games/movies

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Spasserfan, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spasserfan

Spasserfan Registered Member

I have two requests:

If you have changed the default setting in NOD32 v. 3 to no cleaning, and in advanced setup tree => User interface => Alerts and notifications, have ticked the "display alerts" under the option "Alert windows". When scanning with the above settings, the scan stops whenever malware is detected, and the scan does not continue before the user has decided what to do with the infected file. Would it be possible to let the scan continue even though the user has not taken any action yet? That would allow a scan of the computer while the user is away from the computer, and when the user gets back he could take the necessary actions. The scan continues with automatic cleaning, but I do not trust this feature, especially not when using the options potentially unwanted and unsafe programs, that might cause deletion of wanted programs. By the way, a faulty signature can cause slightly more damage when auto delete feature is used:
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/12/20/kaspersky_false_alarm/
    I know Kaspersky is known to send out signatures without sufficient testing, but as the article say,
    On the other hand, scanning without cleaning and notifications is not the solution I am looking for, even though the scan continues upon malware detection, but this is just because it leaves the file as it is without asking the user.​

Desktop notifications like “the virus signature database has been updated" pops over full screen programs If I play a game (games usually runs in an exclusive full screen mode), and the virus sigs. is updated, the notification popup causes the game to run very slow and the notification popup is partly shown in the game (blinking). This continues until I minimize the game, so that the popup disappears, and then start the game again. This might cause problems with some older games, because they crash when minimized. When I am watching a movie the popup does not interfere with the movie, but it pops over it, which is annoying. Could you implement an option that prevents popups when running programs in full screen (like the option in windows live messenger) in a future version? Because I like the popups, but not when playing or watching a movie ​

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

great post eset have to see this

3. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I am a hardcore gamer playing such games as BF2,BF2142,WOW,COD4,The Orange Box,Timeshift.GOW,Q4,C&C3 and I have never seen a pop box after NOD32 updates. Does not interfere with gaming at all. And it is enabled to show tooltips in the GUI.Have you ever thought of changing the time NOD32 updates to a time where you are playing a game. Like 2 am?

4. Spasserfan

Request 2 might have been solved, because after Dieselman's reply I tried to reproduce this by installing a 4-day-old trial version and created an update task to run while I was playing. The task did not run when the game was in full screen, bus started when I minimized it. When looking at the update tab in NOD32's main window I noticed that the update process paused when I maximized the game and continued when I minimized again (the process was at 33% when I maximized the game, and finished in a few seconds when I minimized it after playing a few minutes). This might also apply to the standard update task, but since testing that requires me to be playing a game whenever an update is available, which makes it difficult to schedule.

By the way, the game in which I noticed this behavior was one of my old games from 2003: "Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna"
    As I said this could give problems with older games, not necessarily the new games.

If you have never seen those popup boxes, then you might have unticked the option in NOD32's setup.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If more people have a problem with this, we could consider adding an option enabling/disabling displaying bubbles on top.

6. Dieselman

Read my post. I didnt tick anything. Its all at default values. Its does show my updates when they come in if I am surfing but if it bothers you while you are gaming just change the scedule its that simple.

7. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

yes please:thumb:

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , please , add it (second vote for this) :thumb:

I can confirm the bug No.2 which Dieselman reports

9. Dieselman

It wasnt me. I dont think its a bug. I use to use AVG awhile back and that slowed my gaming down when it updated so as did Mcafee. All you do is change the update time.

10. sflorack

sflorack Registered Member

While playing World of Warcraft, I also see the semitransparent popup box, but it quickly goes away and doesn't affect the speed of the game.

Still, for those with slower machines or older games, it may become an issue.

11. Dieselman

Forget it................you people don't understand.

12. sflorack

sflorack Registered Member

We understand what you're saying; change automatic updates to sometime when you expect you won't be up playing games and bothered by the popup.

This practice means having to wait (up to 23 hours 59 minutes) to receive a virus definition update. I, for one, am not willing to give up computer security for a minor annoyance.

It's much more prudent to add an option disabling the popups in fullscreen games rather than to suggest "oh, just turn off updates while you play".

13. Dieselman

OMG,OMG do you really thing 10-12 hours without an update and you are gonna get a virus. Man your nuts. Just do a manual update once your done playing. Updates come about 3 times a day and if you miss one no biggy. Geezzz.

14. stanr

stanr Registered Member

How about turning off the pop ups while game playing?

Display: Advanced Mode
    Setup > Enter entire advanced setup tree > User interface > Alerts and notifications > Display only notifications requiring user intervention

s.

15. Dieselman

That will work.............its not a bug on Eset's part its the nature of the program.

16. Spasserfan

As I am not a hardcore gamer using all my time playing, why should I not get the updates with the standard 1 hour intervals? Secondly I am not one of those leaving my computer on 24/7, therefore setting my update time to 02:00 would leave me with old signatures, and not just one-day-old-signatures but older. Further more I am not doing something specific at at specific time of the day (or night), that means that I could be playing a game at any time, when my computer is on. This means also that I could be surfing, writing etc. at any time, and when doing those things I would like to see the popups.

Would you turn that option on/off every time you start/stop playing a game? I would get annoyed very quickly!

17. Dieselman

There is no helping you. I tried. I never shut my pc off. Maybe like once a week if I do at all. Its more stress on your HD to keep shutting down and booting up.

18. stanr

stanr Registered Member

Spasserfan.

It was just a suggestion till a better solution comes along.

To answer your question, yes. In fact I turn quite a few things on and off on my computer depending on the task at hand.

In as much as my system is not the newest or fastest, I find that turning unnecessary software off or modifying it's action increases the efficiency of my computer.

But that's just me.

s.

19. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

. . . . . . . vote # 3, here!!!!

20. Spasserfan

When you say on top, do you mean on top of full screen programs? Because When I am surfing, writing etc. I would like to see the bubbles. So if they do not pop on top of these non-full-screen programs, I would not see them anyway.

And would you consider implementing the option in my first request in a future version of NOD32?

21. Spasserfan

Request 2 has not been solved yet. I was watching a movie yesterday when an update popup appeared on top of the full screen video overlay.

22. Spasserfan

Noticed this again in another game yesterday, that is "Need for speed underground 2". Even though it did not cause a slow down in this game the popup still popped on top, which is quite annoying.

23. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Yes, add option next version :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.