Scan should continue if threat is found

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Meister, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meister

Meister Registered Member

I left ESS running a virus scan overnight and at about 33% it found a threat in my temp folder (a setup file with a toolbar). A popup was shown and the scan completly stopped (which sucks :p).

As far as I know the available options regarding cleaning are:

- Do not clean
    Infected files will not be cleaned automatically. The program will show up a warning window and allow the user to choose an action.

- Default level
    The program will attempt to automatically clean or delete an infected file. If it is not possible to select the correct action automatically, the program offers a selection of follow-up actions. The same happens if a predefined action couldn’t be completed.

- Strict cleaning
    The program will clean or delete all infected files. The only exceptions are the system files. If it is not possible to clean them, the user is offered an action to take in a warning window.

and all of these show popups.

My suggestion: Queue the popups and allow the scan to continue.

2. roaringhere

roaringhere Registered Member

I second that... You left it overnight and it will stop because it found a virus, it should continue and tell about it later...

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The cleaner module will need some tuning, for security reasons currently the user must decide how to handle NewHeur_PE files, if detected during a scan. These are usually new threats or tools for remote administration, but there's also a probability of a false positive.

4. crummock

crummock Registered Member

I think it's correct that teh user has to decide what to do for NewHeur_PE files as they could easily be false alarms as we've seen in the past.

Maybe ESS should have an option that allows it to continue to the end and then display all warnings rather than interrupt the process.

5. veri

veri Registered Member

Agreed.

(After screwing around with Antivir, I'm going back to ESS and hoping that beta 2 rolls out sometime soon.)

6. Second Shadow

Second Shadow Registered Member

I second that 100% ... no, wait! more than that! 110% ... 200% !!!!!
    Please, please, please, DO include that option in the final release!!!!!
    I've been waiting for NOD32 to behave like that for over a year .....

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.