Scan Issues

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by darthsideous666, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

I am not sure if anyone else is having these issues. I continue to have incomplete scans and computer freezing during my scans. The scan logs also show that the files being scanned have an "error opening" or an "internal error". I have uninstalled, deleted old files, cleaned my registry and then reinstalled, but this does not seem to matter. As of today, I am also unable to contact Technical Support through the link on the Suite. I get an error message saying "Failed to contact Technical Support". Everything else seems to be fine, I think!o_O

2. rothko

rothko Registered Member

i am also finding scans do not complete. the last one got to around 55% then just hung and i couldnt stop the scan or do much else, i had to reboot the pc to get it back. i have tried this a couple of times now.

other than packing my pc off to eset, is there any way of diagnosing what could be causing this?

i have unistalled ess, deleted the folder, reinstalled and left everything as the default, then performed a Smart Scan.

after rebooting the on-demand scan log shows 'scanning in progress'

3. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

rothko,

Just curious to know if during your scans have you checked the scan logs (show scan logs) to see if you are also experiencing the "error opening" and "internal error" messages listed next to the files being scanned?

4. veri

veri Registered Member

I'm also having system freezes courtesy of ESS scans, manual or scheduled.

Log file shows them as complete with no infections, but I'm not a big fan of having to reboot from a hard freeze because of an AV scan.

5. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hi - the 'error opening' tags appear when the file is in use for example, like the pagesys file. I havent seen the 'internal error' message though.

I tried doing a scan to inc all files (log all) but it hung again, and after rebooting the log for that on-demand scan still shows 'scanning in progress' and 0 files scanned, even though it got to about 40% this time.

6. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

The "Error opening" is possibly due to the file being Locked, I believe it says that in the scan logs as it scrolls past.
    The locked files are usually System files that can be damaged by active scans, and so are locked out from these things.
    I think you're seeing the "Internal" thing wrong and it's not an error but actually says "Internal scanning not performed"...correct?
    If so, you'll also see that these are MIME digests and an internal scan is unecessary on those. It usually says "C:\blahblah\blah.xxx >> MIME - is Ok (internal scanning not performed)

I also had a real problem getting scans to complete when I first installed 1b Click here to see if this is similar to yours. Mine turned out to be a Threat file in an obscure storage folder that the scan continually hung up, and crashed on it. After a few of those it finally recognized & cleaned it and I haven't had that issue since.

I'm running a scan now and it seems that most of my "Error Opening" ones are either .dat or .idx files in HP Connections folder in Program files...so far anyway.

7. jackm

jackm Registered Member

Same here. Locked up so bad I couldn't start task manager. I ran the scan again with task manager open and waited for my system to lock part way through a scan. Sure enough it did it again.

Curiously CPU usage was normal <5% and no disk activity, as though the scan was complete, but the OS was all locked up, half the processes I tried to kill wouldn't die, until I killed ekern.exe. After I killed ekern.exe my system immediately came back to life. I have now repeated the process. Same each time.

Second awful experience with ESS. First one involved the startup crash filling my drive with crashlogs and destroying my user profile as a result, easy enough to fix however.

8. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

Sounds exactly like my issues when I installed 1b, the thread on it is in the link in my last post....sounds very familiar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.