Scan hidden partitions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by slowdive, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slowdive

slowdive Registered Member

Hi.

Since i updated my laptop bios i have a strange issue. Whenever i run certain programs that for some reason or another need to check the dvd drive, like wmp12 or aida64, since the bios update, it produces the same mechanical sound like when i turn on laptop (really loud). Sometimes it even makes the dvd tray open. I'm sure this is a faulty bios but there's also the possibility of malware.

Is there any malware that can do this?
    I already tested with avira antivir premium, updated, and no infection was detected. But i've no ideia if avira scans the hidden/factory partition.

Do you know any antivirus that scans that partition? It's not visible through windows or avira explorer.
    Do you think is malware?

Thanks

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Which partition do you mean? Bios isn't a partition on your hard drive. It is stored on a ROM chip on your motherboard.

And it does sound much more like a hardware issue than malware.

3. slowdive

slowdive Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I know what bios is. I just mentioned because that's likely the cause.

The partition i mentioned is the hidden/recovery partition that most/all laptops have. It's not visible through windows explorer, and you can not select that directory on avira (and probably other anti-virus software). It's used to recover windows, drivers and software. There's no letter assigned to that hidden partition, like you can see in the link below:

http://i.imgur.com/VCZoe.png

I just created avira rescue cd so i could scan outside windows, on a linux environment. This way i could select that hidden partition .
    No virus detected...

4. markusg

markusg Registered Member

avira and other avs are scanning this hidden partition, also in normal scans i think
    its only not visible for users, you have to select it under extras /folder settings unter explorer so you can also see it

5. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey,

I think that to accomplish this task you can download the ISO image on the UBCD4Win [just Google it] and burn it on CD, then you can boot from it and scan hidden partitions on your or someone else's PC.

Regards,

Carlos

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You can use SARDU if you want to be really sure there's no malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.