SC Magazine 2006 Reader Trust Awards

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by RoseDreamJ, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoseDreamJ

RoseDreamJ Registered Member

Not long ago I thought I'd try a new computing magazine since all the main mags seemed to issue awards based on market visibility rather than any concrete testing. When I received my first issue of SC Magazine and saw a print ad for NOD 32, I thought perhaps I had stumbled upon a winner. But after seeing the latest issue which includes the 2006 Reader Trust Awards http://www.scawards.com/winners/2006.asp I can see that I am once again mistaken.

Granted, the awards are based on "reader trust" but listing some of these products as best in the class seems like a disservice to me. Either that or it gives a glimpse of some of the reasons why so many big businesses are continually threatened by every new wave of malware.

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

If this is what you will follow as advice regarding a pick for a good security program.........just dream on!!!!

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Charges
    "The Nominee agrees to pay such administration fee per nomination as is indicated on the nomination form. All companies will be invoiced after the voting has begun. Nominations must be paid before the voting ends

No refund of the administration fee shall be made in respect of the suspension or disqualification of a nomination as a result of a breach of these terms and conditions or of the nominee's failure to comply with any rules of the Awards or of an instruction of the Organizer or the Judges."

WTF??

4. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

That means the more you pay the judges, the better your product will be rated.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

6. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Oh my ******.
    Incredible amount of cash for basically a fake award. Shamefull behaviour.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Lol and i thought you people are smarter...

Sponsorship is not faked award (it's not like they buy the award). It's just that this organisation or whatever it is adds commercials to specific magazines and stuff. For example Alwil Software created a new thread on their forums and asked users that are happy with avast! to vote for it. And we did. I don't think they payed such ridiculous amounts just to be the winners in any way. Symantec or McAfee can afford such stuff, but software house as small as Alwil probably not. But only they know for sure...

It's logical, if you want more votes you need to show people where to vote. But tradeoff is the $$$ you have to pay i guess.
    ESET could as well place a thread here and do the same i belive.

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I guess I'm really stupid then, but this part sure looks like it to me...

Included in the price of "sponsorship" at the link above.

9. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Perhaps this only means they are given the opportunity to present an award? It doesn't really specify whether they are on the giving or recieving end of the award.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.