SBIE on x64 and WU

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by emmjay, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I have been using the paid version of SBIE on my laptop and desktop for several years now and I am very happy with it. A relative staying with us upgraded the desktop to W7/Pro 64 a few days ago (custom install over Vista 32) and when x64 booted up OK, MSE x64, MBAM and WP was installed. Then the latest SBIE which installed the x64 version. It installed just fine & it recognized IE8. Then 398MB of windows updates came in and during the installation a popup from windows UAC asked for permission to allow SBIE startup services. We replied YES, but SBIE was denied access (error code 2808 in SBIE control). We were on admin UAC. We could open SBIE control, but it only displayed the error code, so we uninstalled SBIE and reinstalled it (did not keep the config file). The same error came back. The SBIE notes recommends a config change for x64 to work properly but since we can not get to it, we are stuck. We are assuming that one of the windows security updates messed up SBIE, is this possible?

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx Stapp. We checked out the link and will refer to it again after we install SP1.

Does anybody know how big SP1 is ? The download in WU shows 87-892MB (the range is mind boggling).

4. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

My notes show download was 89MBs in March 2011 (Win 7 64bit) - I think it depends on whether one has kept Windows fully updated.
    Have no idea what size SP1 might be on a 'new' Windows 7 install though!

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx Krysis. I do not know if W7/SP1 is frozen at 2011 either. I understand that a lot of people do not install SP1 updates as they believe that it is just a roll up/clean up of all their currently installed KBxxxs. I just installed almost 400MB of updates, so the desktop must be up to date. However, it appears that SBIE needs SP1, so there must be something more to it.

Been googling: I see that I can order a DVD from the MS store that has W7/SP1 on it. It is $0 plus a shipping fee. It does not say when it was created, e.g. 2011, and neither does it give its size. I also found that it is available from the MS-download site, but not recommended for a single computer user. They strongly recommend WU as of April 2013. My guess is that the DVD file is probably the same as the download file that is available from the website with x86 and X64 on it (vintage 2011, size 897o_O)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  6. DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR Registered Member

Yeah, the standalone SP1 installer should be the same whether downloaded or from the MS DVD...

The best way to have an SP1 install (and SP1 is recommended, I'd say) would have been to download an ISO of the Win 7 install disc, which already contains SP1, and burned to DVD, etc. (Links to MS' Digital River ISO's (free); 64-bit Win 7 Pro: -msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59186.iso- X17-59186.iso, 3.1 GB) And then upgraded from Vista with that... But that doesn't matter now, unless you want to redo a clean install. :)

I don't know if you were using version 3.xx of Sandboxie, or the new 4 beta, but the latest beta released yesterday is supposed to fix the problem, when that one update is installed without SP1. See http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=15346

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  7. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Dr Larry, Tnx for your link...looks good. We will give it a try.

We installed the latest stable version of SBIE, not the beta. Also, we purchased a Vista to W7 upgrade disc which meant to go from 32 to 64 we had to do a custom install which is a 'sort-of' clean install. I do not think we can use the product key we have from the upgrade on a new W7 ISO for a clean install. I searched the MS tech site for an answer but got conflicting info on this. MS answers was just as maze of what-ifs and should-be's rather than anything definitive. Seems logical that it is for an upgrade only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.