SB Partially Enabled

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by AlizeZ, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlizeZ

AlizeZ Registered Member

I've been checking several of my computers and the same thing appears to be happening on them all.

When I open SB on any PC, I notice that the "Restricted Sites" always seem to say "Partially "Enabled."

Why is that? I've updated all of them and then did the Enable all Protection and then I see that all three categories, Internet Explorer; Restricted Sites and Mozilla Firefox are marked Protection Enabled.

However, next time I open SB, I see the Restricted Sites are marked Partially Enabled.

If this continues to happen, I think I will have to delete SB from all my computers. Grandchildren can't continue to remember to keep checking SB everytime they use a computer.

This appears to be only happening on our WinXPsp3 computers (IE8; FF3.6.3)

Any suggestions please
    Alice

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

How many entries are disabled?

What other security apps are u running?

snowbound

4. AlizeZ

AlizeZ Registered Member

One entry is disabled.

I read the second message suggested by Cudni which said:

"Since I see you're also running SpyBot, be advised that at present, SpyBot & SpywareBlaster have a disagreement about the inclusion of IE restricted site CoolWebSearch (3650) Hotlinkfiles (dot) com
    SpywareBlaster is ENabling it, SpyBot is DISabling it.
    a simple "solution" is that EVERY time you hit the IMMUNIZE button using spybot, you must, afterwards, reimmunize with SpywareBlaster."

Since we use SpyBot on all machines, guess we will have to remember to advise grandchildren to Enable all Protection in SpyBlaster after updating and immunizing SB. We will also have to remember to do it ourselves when we update SB and immunize. Seems like a long work-around.

Hope that is the solution.
    I notice that CoolWebSearch is considered "spyware," and therefore I think it should not be allowed. Would you agree?
    What does the statement: "SpywareBlaster is ENabling it?" Does that mean SpywareBlaster is allowing it to enter our computers?

Alice

Alice

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  5. ky331

ky331 Registered Member

"SpywareBlaster is ENabling it", meaning ENabling PROTECTION, by placing that site in the IE Restricted Zone --- which limits what IE will allow your computer to do, if you vist that site.

Spybot is DISabling protection, by removing this site from the IE Restricted Zone. Consequently, it will be treated like any other "regular" (NON-restricted site), should you try to go there.

I can't speak definitively for either program, but my speculation is that SpyBot believes the site in question --- which both programs would agree was BAD --- is no longer active... put another way, it's "dead". as such, SpyBot sees no reason to protect you from a "non-existent" threat, and so it removes it from the restricted zone (so as not to keep excessive "null" entries around).

SpywareBlaster either believes the site is indeed active and malicious... or perhaps needs to double-check to confirm whether its current status is indeed "dead". Until it confirms the site is "dead", they feel it's safer to protect you from it, than not.

It seems this SpyBot vs. SpywareBlaster immunization "conflict" happens every few months. typically, it gets resolved by one party after a few weeks.

I believe this explains WHAT is happening... and how to adjust things, if you so wish.

But I don't want to "make a mountain out of a molehill", and get into further debate with people.

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Both a new database and a new version of SpywareBlaster (4.3) have been released.

This should resolve the continual disabling of that entry by Spybot.

Please see: SpywareBlaster 4.3 Released

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.