SB and Firefox - 2nd request

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MikeBCda, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Well over a year ago (see here) I'd asked a question here which apparently never did get a reply, so I'll try again.

I'm not clear about how and when Firefox refers to the registry entries created or modified by SpywareBlaster, whether when Firefox first starts or when it's performing a specific task. So if Firefox is running while I obtain SB updates (and, of course, then enable all protection), does any new protection involving Firefox (admittedly, rare) become effective immediately, or should Fx be restarted?

Thanks and best.

2. culla

culla Registered Member

effective immediately no need to restart firefox

3. MikeBCda

Thanks, culla. Lately when I see such an updated noted (most commonly in the Updates thread over at avast), I'll simply minimize Fx and do the update then and there ... "enable all protection" finishes by reporting 0 unprotected items, but of course all that tells me is that SB's successfully updated the registry.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

My sincere apologies for not seeing your original post, and thanks for bringing it up again. :)

I'd recommend closing Firefox before applying any changes to SpywareBlaster's Firefox protection, to be on the "safe side". SpywareBlaster's Firefox protection is not written into the registry - rather, into certain configuration files in your Firefox profile(s). Firefox's behavior with these files (whether it overwrites changes on exit, etc.) has changed significantly between Firefox 3.x releases, but you can always be certain things will work properly if Firefox is closed.

Of course, if you already have all Firefox protection enabled, and are simply applying changes/enabling protection for other areas of SpywareBlaster's protection (i.e. Internet Explorer, Restricted Sites, etc.) you needn't close Firefox.

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. MikeBCda

Thanks, jc. As I'd mentioned a couple of times, the question is probably hypothetical anyway, since it's very rare for SB updates to include anything new for Firefox.

So I might just as well carry on the way I have been -- what the heck, if there IS something new added for Firefox, it'll show as unprotected item(s) after updating, and I can shut down FF temporarily before enabling protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.