SB 3.0 bloated ????

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Peaches4U, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

I think SpywareBlaster is great and wouldn't be without it, installed the new version successfully and have not detected any slowdown or adverse effects in the performance of my computer. But then again, I am not a software or computer expert. I personally wish to thank Javacool for creating this great program and offering it for free. It has been a godsend as far as I am concerned.

On another forum there has been an issue brought up that your new SB creates undesirable registry entries .
    The following are some of the comments made by the original poster regarding the registry:
    a] These quotes were actually from two different people in two forums.
    b] This person is a partner in a website which designs webpages and promotes free software and his opinions are generally well thought of in the forum.

The following are comments posted by the orginal poster, of the opinions on the website from where this information was derived and to which no site link was provided.

1. This new version stores a huge chunk of the database in your registry"
    and goes on to say that it bloats the registry.

2. The main problems of a bloated registry are;
    drastically decreases performance
    Can lead to corruption of the registry "

Javacool, would you please comment on the above. Other opinions are also welcome. Thank you.

2. sig

sig Registered Member

My understanding is that SB, new version and old version, works by installing "kill bits" in the registry. So of course one would find database elements in the registry. SB is not a running program so installing the items to block occurs in the registry. That's how it works, according to my understanding, and is not something new with version 3.

As to this registry "bloat" issue in regards to SB, and impact on performance, can't say I've noticed that or think that this is specifically an issue to be concerned about.

Typically, what might be termed "registry bloat" that registry clean up apps are used for, for example, is to remove reg entries that are no longer functional due to uninstalls of programs that leave bits in the registry or old entries that are no longer needed or functional since a program has changed but no longer uses those specific keys. So that's detritus that sometimes can impact performance, if things aren't working correctly as a result.

Some people are convinced that they need to clean up their registry or they will get performance issues or registry "corruption." Others don't find that in general it's a problem, unless there's a potential conflict between commands that the PC is trying to execute due to leftover registry bits. For example, for years ZoneAlarm had a inefficient unnstall routine and one had to manually go back and delete ZA registry entries since one could have problems with a new ZA install or another firewall product since there could be conflicts.

But in the case of SB, I don't see how any of that really applies. I suspect that the persons who made such comments either don't really understand how SB works and/or are going with some "received wisdom" of how the registry works or are presenting their own opinions about the reg in general as objective established fact. Just as some techs will say leaving your PC on all the time is better for the PC than turning if off when you're not using it or defragging your hard drive is necessary on a regular basis while others say it's not. But I'm not Javacool or a tech or registry guru so this is just my view based on my somewhat limited experience.

Perhaps Javacool will stop by to give you the official word. (Or perhaps LWM will appear since it seems he usually posts a great answer while I'm still picking at the keyboard writing my post, LOL.)

Edited to add: Hmn...at least for once it seems I've beat LWM to the post.... ;) He should be around shortly, though... :D

3. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Sig, an your's is a very good opinion. An said as a true diplomat

Peaches

Whomever made such bloat comments really should put their time to better use by learning about computers. An if the person has a degree then I can but wonder which super market it came from.
    Other than that said...its not worth discussion.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Sig, what more could I possibly add? :D

No you're right, the idea of bloat is usually associated with applications messing up the registry, creating lots of new trees in many different places. All SpywareBlaster does is add the kill bit entries, the browser cookie blocks, and now the restricted sites, plus a very small number of entries just to hold SB's own config info like an other application.

That's hardly bloat in my opinion, and it's all in well known places, too, therefore easy to find and remove if people want.

5. sig

sig Registered Member

6. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Thank you, thank you ... I just knew you would come through for me. My stance has been verified by you on this issue. I am also always suspect when someone posts and flatly refuses to provide a link. What such a post did on that forum is have others hesitate to instal SpywareBlaster 3.0 and have begun to question it which prompted me to make this post. Now I can go back with an expert backup... luv you guys. :-* :-* :cool: You have earned your cookies. :D

7. dp

dp Registered Member

I wouldn't associate anything that SWB adds to the registry as bloat. The only new key I noticed that was added via version 3 was [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Licenses]. This may have something to do with the AutoUpdate feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.