Saving Passwords

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by Tatersalad, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

I just purchased CS because I wanted to store important files on msn’s server, as they’ve upgraded the msn premium storage to 2gigs. I grabbed all the files together opened notepad, threw my cat on the keyboard and saved the text file to a floppy and CF card for my password; copy pasted the password and encrypted my files. I then decrypted the file twice to test make sure the password worked and then attached it to an email to myself. I noticed the file size listed in my inbox was 1/3 the original but that I think could be msn as I’ve noticed other reported file size discrepancies with attachments.

However when I tried to decrypt them off msn’s server it said my password was incorrect. I copy pasted from the text file as before but no go so I deleted the attachment repeated the procedure and now it works fine. But now I’m a little concerned about losing my stuff. I know I didn’t make a mistake copying the password. I used Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C not the mouse to copy the password. Anyway it seems to be working fine now, I just want to know what could have happened and what steps can I take to make sure this doesn’t happen again?

Mark

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Maybe when you put them on the MSN server they were corrupted in the process? Sometimes happens, you just need to double check when uploading files.

3. Tatersalad

That makes sense; I was thinking I would see a different message than incorrect password on a corrupted file as all.

Encryption seams to compress files almost 50%. Is it possible for a corrupt CSE file to still open with the password and if so is there anyway to verify data after encryption?

Thanks,
    Hope you had a nice vacation.

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Due to the way secure encryption works with chaining as soon as you get some corrupted data, any data following that corrupted data will not be able to be retrieved.

5. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hmmm , I wonder what the entropy is of a cat? Somehow, I am reminded of Schrodinger's Cat :D

6. Tatersalad

I am starting to see signs that my cat could betray me. There may well be a lead box in his future if he talks ;)

7. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

In my experiences, cats are much more dependable than their bipedal slaves...oops, I mean...caretakers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.