Saved Images Has Bad Sectors From Recovered Hard Drive - How To Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bigmike7, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmike7

bigmike7 Registered Member

Yo-

My backup hard drive crashed-

I sent it off to the data recovery folks and they were able to recover my two Acronis True Images - but they say that the images have bad sectors-

How do I restore my drive with these most valuable files?

Sorry that I don't know which build (entire system crashed) but it was ATI verson 7-

Thanks in advance for your help-

Mike

2. gbark

gbark Registered Member

bigmike7,

Sorry to hear such bad news.

Did the recovery folks return your drive? If so and the drive can be installed and seen by your BIOS you might want to give Spinrite v6.0 a "spin." Spinrite has performed miracles for many folks and shines at recovering data from drives that have sector-level data read problems.

It can't fix a bad motor or head, etc. but if some of the data is just "unreadable" due to a weak recording of the data or the like Spinrite can usually recover most, if not all the data. If the file is a text file or something you can usually "fill in the blanks" yourself. If the file is an executable or *.dll it might be a bit dicey.

At any rate, give it a try. Steve Gibson and GRC.com are ultra-trustworthy. Here's the link to Spinrite page at GRC.com You can do some reading about Spinrite there, or post back any questions you might have and I might be able to provide some answers.

I'm not affiliated with GRC, but I've used spinrite for over 12 years and I've seen it work wonders! :D

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Could you please clarify what you mean by "the images have bad sectors"? If the images are safe you will be able to restore them. If not you may try to explore them and extract at least several files. Usually it is possible to extract most of the files contained in an image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. bigmike7

Hello-

Thank you for the quick answer-

The disc recovery people have saved the image files from my crashed hard drive and have placed them onto a new hard drive which they have sent to me-

Please explain how I open the images to see the files - and then how to use them to restore my hard drive within True Image-

Thanks so much-

Mike

5. Acronis Support

Hello Mike,

In order to restore the image you need to plug the hard drive to your computer, launch Acronis True Image, launch the "Restore Image" wizard and follow the directions.

If this is the only hard drive for your computer than you need to get another one temporary where you should copy the image files. After that please boot from Acronis Bootable CD and restore the image to your hard disk using the "Restore Image" wizard.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. adieder

adieder Registered Member

Hello Ilya,

i have about the same Problem..

my old HDD (20 GB) was about ready to die...it was really loud,almost as loud as an FDD.

I used ATI 8. demo version to make an image of this drive...it gave me an error before making the Image...."bad areas on the Source-disk,has to be copied sector by sector."
    I used my Network to save and restore the Images...no rescue-disk

when i try to recover the Image to a new HDD (200 or 160 GB) all i will get is an exact copy of the old HDD (20 GB Partition)....
    error message " no valid Partition-Size on source-disk!

I just cant get it to restore the 20 GB into an larger Partition....is this an problem about the "sector by sector" image??

with the 160 GB HDD ( Recognized as 160 GB)your Programm will make an 20 GB partition and leaves the other 140 GB unformatted.

With the 200 GB HDD ( Recognized as 32 GB HDD) your Programm will make an 20GB Partition and leaves the other 12 GB unformatted

Thanks
    Andreas

Germany

PS..to bad i cant a German Forum for your Products..

7. Acronis Support

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

Have you tried to restore the image to a new hard disk and then create it once again not in sector-by-sector way (since now you have healthy disk)? In this case you will obtain the image that you can restore in the way you need (with partition resizing).

As for the 200Gb hard disk it is really strange that Acronis True Image sees it as 32Gb only. Could you please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to support@acronis.com (please plug in the 200Gb disk before report creation)? Please indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Ilya Toytman. I will try to help you with this problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. adieder

Hello Ilya,

youve got mail :)

i plugged the 160 gb drive into the comp which has the image on drive c:....restored the image to the 160 GB drive...gave me an 18,64 Part and the rest was blank.
    2.pugged the restored drive into the original-system and added the 200 GB HDD....tried to "clone HDD" ...but it only showes me close to 32 GB on the 200GD Drive.......may have to do it from 160->200->160 Again

3.after i used the report.exe. i cant boot my win98 anymore.....only in secured mode......whats wrong with thato_O i checked to uninstall the report.exe in secured mode,but theres no entry in "Software"

Andreas

9. Acronis Support

Hello Andreas,

I will try to help you with the hard disks. The situation with Windows not booting is very strange because Acronis Report tool doesn't change anything in the system. It just analyzes your disks and creates a file report.txt so you won't find anything in the "Software" that concerns the report.

I have found your letter and have one additional question: do you use both your disks as internals IDE or they are in external enclosure?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. adieder

Hello,

both are internal disks...both master on ide 0 and 1

Andreas

11. Acronis Support

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for the information. I will contact you further via e-mail.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

12. bigmike7

Yo-

Just got the hard drive with the recovered images and when I try and restore the images with the Acronis Boot Disk - I get an error message that the "Image Archive Corrupt"

Is there any way to "Uncorrupt" your image file??

Please help-

Thank you-

Mike

13. Acronis Support

Hello Mike,

We regret to inform you that we haven't got any tool to recover the image. The only thing you may try is to explore the image and extract the available files. Usually it is possible to get most of the files from the image even if the image itself is corrupted.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

14. bigmike7

Yo Acronis Support Folks-

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to open the images to a virtual drive that your program provides - and restore the individual files to the "C" drive-

Between the two images - I was able to restore ALL of my critical data archived files and about 90% of the other files-

Thank You Very Much For Your Help!!

Mike

15. Acronis Support

Hello Mike,

We are glad to hear you have recovered the most important of your files and the failure appeared to be not so harmful.

If you encounter any further issues please feel free to describe them here or contact Acronis Support Team via e-mail support@cronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.