Save The Internet

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Hungry Man, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

http://www.mozilla.org/sopa/

Why?

A few infringing links are enough to justify censoring an entire site, blocking good content along with the bad.

How?

The US will be able to block a site’s web traffic, ad traffic and search traffic using the same website censorship methods used by China, Iran and Syria.

Who's at risk?

Your favorite websites both inside and outside the US could be blocked based on an infringement claim.

Could this pass?

Yes. The Stop Online Piracy Act and the PROTECT IP Act have widespread support in Congress and are expected to pass.

2. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Well it is about time the Internet gets Scrubbed and Inoculated of Inappropriate Infestations.

Until One Becomes Victimized by one of these Infractions, One Just Does Not Understand.

HKEY1952

3. Hungry Man

Google, Youtube, Facebook, and many others could be shut down simply for a single link to what the government deems "unacceptable."

Censorship on the same level as China.

4. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

An Business is an Business, and it is up to the Chief Exeutive Officer (CEO) to keep their Business within the
    Parameters of the Law.

HKEY1952

5. Hungry Man

That's always been the case. This law wouldn't change that or make that any stronger. All it will change is that any infringement means the website is shut down.

Example: I make a topic on Wilders to a pirated TV show. Wilders gets shut down.

Oh, and of course TOR website will be shut down.

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Well not quite, but i know what you mean ;) Just mentioning that and/or providing a link, in itself wouldn't be cause enough, nor would having a discussion about it. But it "seems" that quoting from it or other www's would ! Only if someone complained of course.

I suggest that concerned www's CLEARLY state on their sites that, ALL original material made on their www is OK to be quoted etc. That would prevent anyone complaining from achieving a shutdown ;)

The problem will be for those www's who allow posts/comments/uploads etc to be made without pre screening, that get copyrighted material posted without consent and/or removed quickly. In other words a Complete nightmare :eek:

If this goes ahead it won't be long before potentially most of the existing www's would be shutdown. Maybe that's "THEIR" true modus operandi, only compliant do as you're told, toe the line etc www's would be "allowed"

On a lighter note, it wouldn't bother me if FB etc got shutdown forever :p But i can't see that happening, too MUCH tasty data to be had by You Know Who :D So if they etc don't get shutdown for ALL their daily infringements, why should Anyone else ?

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I think we already have something like this (blaming sites such as blogs for opinions expressed on them) operative in India. I could be mistaken.

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I wonder what would be left.

9. Hungry Man

What would be left? Only what the government deems acceptable...

10. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Which government?

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I am surprised this hasn't happened yet. The information highway is a dangerous place for common folk to tread, giving them knowledge and ideas that only "learned" and "elite" should possess. The reasons for this sort of control over something like the internet are many. It doesn't take much imagination to think of dozens of ways the few are going to profit, while the many don't actually get what was initially stated - and that is to protect us from bad websites, at least that is the guise.

I find it funny, that rather than fix the problem with user education, instead the solution is to sweep the problem under a rug. IMO keeping this sort of technology under wraps is only inviting hackers to have a grand competition to find ways around it.

I wonder if gov't mucky mucks would have thier internet experience filtered or if they would still have the full monty, because you know, they are better than the lowly peons they "serve" :cautious:

We might be praising hackers one day, never know.

Sul.

12. Hungry Man

This is in reference to the US government but if the US does it there will be a precedent.

13. Hungry Man

@Sully, The government surely would be filtered. Of course, they're all a bunch of 70+ year olds who likely don't use their computers for anything other than to work.

The issue with the government making laws about computers is that the government doesn't know anything about computers.

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I agree with Sully, this is about control of governments over their people and economic interests from companies who want more money out of their intellectual properties.
    In addition to the initiative of the EFF, there is an international petition which is being signed rapidly. It started on the 15th and it's growing exponentially, it's now already signed by more than a half million people and I signed it a few hours ago and back then it was only 300k :blink: Seems people are finally waking up :)
    http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet/

15. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

I read over 700,000 people responded to this yesterday!!

Lets hope it makes a difference.....

16. Hungry Man

What will really make the difference is the big companies like Google and Facebook saying they won't support it.

17. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Every Net-citizen should go on strike. Stop using the Internet. Cease your contracts with your ISPs. Listen to good old radio... Or... read good old news paper.

Would that change anything? :blink:

18. Hungry Man

It would get ISPs to listen. But it's unreasonable to cancel internet.

19. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well... I've always heard that desperate times require desperate measures. :argh:

Otherwise, just throw rotten tomatoes at the government. Then say We're just ketching up. :rolleyes:

20. Hungry Man

lol well that's certainly one approach

21. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Not if they're making money they won't.

I doubt it.

22. Hungry Man

Sorry, not the same level. The same methods.

Not sure what you mean here.

The reason Google is fighting so hard against this is because they would be in serious legal trouble.

23. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think it's important not to start getting too paranoid about these proposals. Supposedly, my country has more CCTV cameras per capita than any other in the world. People not from my country often cite this as an example of us living in a police state. I don't live in a police state. There are no CCTV cameras in the village that I live in, which has been around since at least the Domesday Book, & I don't expect Big Brother to be watching me any time soon. The plain fact of the matter is that CCTV cameras are cheaper than rozzers on the beat. I just don't think people should get so hysterical about things, that's all.

Governments in the western world are inextricably linked to the corporate world.

I trust Google even less than I trust my own government.

24. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thank you all but we straying into discussion that does not fit these forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.