SATA RAID 1 Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mudtoe, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudtoe

mudtoe Registered Member

Hi folks:

I'm currently using Drive Image 7.0 on a WinXP SP2 system, but I'm having terrible compatability problems with Roxio EZ CD 7.5 and the gearsec drivers that Drive Image uses to be able to burn DVDs. I'm looking at switching to True Image (Ghost 9.0 also uses gearsec from what I'm told).

My question concerns how the stand alone boot version of True Image handles SATA and RAID drives. I have an Intel D875PBZ motherboard with pair of hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration. My understanding is that the True Image stand alone restore environment is Linux, and I'm curious if it has drivers capable of accessing this drive configuration. I suppose that I could simply break the RAID configuration if I had to do a stand alone restore, and then re-establish it after I got WinXP back up and running, but if someone has been able to make it work in with the True Image stand alone restore I'd be interested in hearing how it was done.

mudtoe

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

The Acronis Bootable Rescue CD does recognise the D875PBZ RAID controller ICH5R. This controller supports RAID 0 and 1 and the RAID functionality is provided by the RAID ROM BIOS not by the disk driver so it should work ok. As you say, you can always restore to a single drive and rebuild the RAID 1 afterwards. The same goes for RAID 0.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello mudtoe,

The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say!! Download the free trial version of TI 8.0 and create an Acronis bootable rescue CD. Create an image from within Windows, verify it via the Check Image wizard and then mount and explore the image. That will be a reasonable check of TI's functionality in a Windows environment.

After that, boot from the rescue CD and use the Check Image wizard again. If TI correctly identifies your RAID array as single disk and is able to verify the image then all should be well in the Linux based rescue environment.

If everything is o.k. up to this point then you should feel confident enough to purchase the full version. However, if TI fails the above checks then post back here so that either Acronis Support or other users can try to help sort it prior to you parting with your hard earned cash.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.