SATA RAID-1 and "corrupt and unreadable"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by anv2006, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anv2006

anv2006 Registered Member

Hello All,

My experience with Acronis TrueImage is limited to one day only.

I've purchased and installed Acronis TrueImage 9.0 Home yesterday.

The full and incremental backup went fine. Also, I've created the "Acronis Bootable Rescue Disk."

My problems started when I've tried to restore a folder (C:\data\aim) into a new location (D:\data) using the bootable rescue disk.

Note: The folder "C:\data\aim" contains five files with total size of 4.77KB.

However, while Acronis was restoring these five files, I've realized that Acronis recognizes each of my logical drives as two. My two logical drives are SATA RAID-1.

Acronis did not recognize the SATA RAID-1 configuration! -- I've pressed CANCEL within the Acronis application.

Once, I was back to Windows, it seemed like Acronis did not get a chance to restore the folder "C:\data\aim" into "D:\data\aim"

However, I did find the folder "D:\data\Drive (C)\Documents and Settings\<my_windows_user_id>\..."

Needless to say, I've failed to delete this folder and any of its file. The delete request had failed with the message, that the file so and so is “corrupted and unreadable.”

Searched this forum and found the topic with a similar issue: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=145505&highlight=corrupted+unreadable

Backup up my drive "D:" and reformatted it back with NTFS.

I've a few questions:

1. Does TrueImage support SATA RAID-1?
    2. Is there an Acronis tool that repairs NTFS?
    3. Did anyone experience the similar problems recently?

Thank you,
    Al.

2. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Greetings Al,

Here's another link which may prove useful:

shieber: ...try using the mount-image and copy method and avoid file restore in ATI

I don't know how well TI will see your RAID array in boot mode. Acronis support has said that they will provide drivers to support specific configurations, so, if yours is not, you could email them with the specifics of your hardware, and request drivers. In the meantime, be sure to use the latest version of Acronis drivers, which are updated between builds.

Link: the latest version of Acronis drivers

There is no Acronis tool for repairing NTFS files, at least not yet. Various work-arounds have been discussed in these forums. Acronis Support says it is working on the solution(s).

But, for file copying, as sheiber says, stick with Mounting Images, then copying files using your OS to create the new directories, rather than TI, which does create corrupt directories and files at times.

Regards

3. anv2006

anv2006 Registered Member

How to check the version of Acronis drivers I currently have?

Your link points to file SnapAPI_I_s_e.exe file. Is it safe to execute this file?

Thank you,
    Al.

4. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

The latest version of the Acronis Drivers is 3.0.0.297, which I downloaded on Sept. 9th, and is still the current version.

You can look in C:\WINDOWS\System32 for snapapi.dll, then check the version. (Right click/ Properties/ Version). I looked at several versions of Acronis Drivers in my Downloads folder, and the releases do seem to have different letters -- this one has the "I". The final letter "e" designates that this is the English language version (the user interface is in English - other languages are also available).

I think the file is safe to run -- you could always run a virus scan on it first. So far, I've not experienced nor read of anything to the contrary.

Since Acronis is, I think, trying to keep up with this ever changing hardware environment, if your configuration isn't yet supported, ask them if they will create drivers for it. That's most likely how drivers get added. As far as I know, each new TI build also contains the latest release of the Acronis Drivers, but drivers do get updated between builds.

I know of no source for information about which drivers are contained in each release of the Acronis Drivers, nor what changes have been made or why. No detailed change log is available, for drivers or new builds, even though many of us have requested this.

My practice is to save each release of the Acronis Drivers, not because of problems I've had with Acronis Driver updates, but because I tend to keep my PCs in service for a long time, and may one day want to use a specific version on an older PC. Though, I don't think Acronis has any built-in way to roll back the drivers to the previous release. But, I could remove and reinstall TI to the build and driver release that worked on my system.

The Acronis drivers also allow one to enable logging, which creates a snapapi.log in the root directory of your hard drive ( C:\snapapi.log on my system ). This log is overwritten with each Acronis Operation, so, if you want to save a log history, copy that text file to another location, and rename it. Though, there isn't much in there for non-technical folks, other than which operation just ran. Acronis support may ask for the snapapi log if you request tech support. You can also rerun the SnapAPI installation program to disable logging.

By the way, TI Boot "Safe" Mode is a DOS environment, and uses your BIOS to run your hardware. If you can't access your RAID in the Linux mode - TI Boot "Full" Mode, you might try under DOS.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.