SATA DVD Burner Question

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am considering purchasing a SATA DVD burner to eventually replace my IDE DVD Burner in one of my PC's. The ASUS motherboard in that PC has 6 SATA's connectors with 2 SATA connectors available (SATA4 & SATA5). This ASUS motherboard was purchased in late 2006.

Question: Will a SATA burner most likely be compatible with this ASUS motherboard? I think that I read somewhere that some earlier SATA motherboards either were not compatible or were finicky about which SATA port the DVD Burner is attached to.

The reason for wanting to purchase a replacement DVD burner is that the open/close button no longer works on my current DVD burner. I am using the program "wizmo" to open and close the DVD burner tray. The open/close button not working 'may' be a "sign" of a soon DVD burner failure.

Thank in Advance.

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I installed the new SATA DVD/CD burner in my newest PC (a 2 year old PC, not the 4 year old PC above). It was detected and works OK.

It looks like the SATA burner was on the order of 25 to 30 percent faster than the EIDE burner in the same PC doing the same type/size of burn job. Both the SATA and EIDE burners are 24X and the test was done with the same media (Verbatim DVD+R Single Layer). I am beginning to like the idea of having SATA burners. I would have thought that SATA burners would only have been slightly faster than EIDE burners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.