SATA Drives - Longer to Restore!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thecreator, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecreator

thecreator Registered Member

Hi Support and All,

Using Acronis True Image 10 Home to restore.

Why does it take longer to Restore a SATA 1.5Gbps Hard Drive 30 GB partition than it takes to restore a IDE Hard Drive?

Both Restores take place after a reboot. Both Drive Image partitions exist on the same Hard Drive.

Note: Computer's Motherboard has internal SATA Connectors. Drive in question is Internal not external.

Motherboard Specs from User's Manual for Serial ATA:
    • Integrated in VT8237R Plus.
    • Supports Raid 0 and Raid 1 functions. / Not used. Set up for IDE in BIOS.
    • Support 2 serial ATA (SATA) ports.
      • Compliant with SATA Version 1.0 specifications.
      • Data transfer rates up to 150 MB/s.
    Motherboard has 2 GBs of Memory onboard with a 2.8 GHz Pentinum D Processor.

While it works, it is so slow.

Does Acronis True Image 11 Home work faster with SATA Hard Drives?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It is very unlikely the problem is with the SATA drives themselves but due to an incompatibility with the disk controller chip. I assume you were restoring the active partition, typically C, and TI rebooted into its Linux rescue mode. There shouldn't be any speed problems using Windows in creating the archive or restoring non-active partitions where TI can remain in Windows.

The later version may be better if this is the issue and it has better Linux driver support for your board.

Did you try the quiet acpi=off noapic
    command in the following link:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317
    It is in II and sometimes cures a variety of problems - easy to try.

3. thecreator

Hi seekforever,

This time it crashed and now resorting to use the Bootable Rescue CD in Full Version Mode.

I tried with the Bootable Rescue CD for 10 Home. I do not know if it worked or not with that command. quiet acpi=off noapic

The time to restore varies from 1 hour and 43 minutes to 2 hours on this SATA Hard Drive. Partition size is 30 GBs. Partition restoring is Drive F:\ partition, not Drive C:\ partition.

On an IDE Hard Drive on a different computer, same size partition takes about 20 to 30 minutes to restore.

Where is the speed over an IDE Hard Drive?

Right now, I am in the process of restoring on that computer where it estimates at 2 hours taking to restore.

I thought that SATA Hard Drives were faster than IDE Hard Drives.

Maybe faster in the operating system, but not in the Restoring of the Hard Drive.

However, I will admit it created an image within the operating system in about 12 or 20 minutes.

And taking 2 hours to restore.

4. rackin21

rackin21 Registered Member

We had a similar problem that we just tracked down with a NAS system we bought. In our case the Raid SATA would take forever to do images and the internal SATA was quite fast. We found that there was a problem with the PCI bus on the motherboard and had to replace it. See what happens when you try and copy large files 1-5 gb to the drive. You may find that the SATA on the MB has a problem.

5. thecreator

Hi rackin21,

Copy to the SATA Hard Drive from a different partition on the same drive or a different drive. The motherboard has two SATA ports. One Hard Drive is connected and one Lite-On DVD Recorder is connected to the other Port on the motherboard.

I am asking because MachSpeed (P4MSD-800D2 Motherboard) doesn't support backing up to a SATA Hard Drive from an IDE Hard Drive, if the operating system is on the IDE Hard Drive.

That's why I installed the operating system on the SATA Hard Drive. It is a Seagate 500 GB SATA Hard Drive, partitioned.

Did you replace the motherboard under Warranty?

6. seekforever

SATA drives are typically a bit faster than IDE but if you have a modern IDE drive that runs at UDMA5 or 6 the difference in practical terms is not very much.

A reasonable rough rule-of-thumb is that TI should take about 1 minute per GB of normally compressed archive so your 30 minute number is typical. When an active partition needs to be restored or the TI rescue mode is used, TI uses a Linux environment. This can often increase the restore time by 1.5-2X. If it is a lot worse than that it usually indicates, like I said earlier, a poor Linux driver for your system.

7. thecreator

Hi seekforever,

I have two copies of Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 installed on that computer. Booting into that second XP copy and using Acronis True Image 10 Home, I was able to restore the image in about 16 minutes as oppose to 2 hours from the Bootable Rescue CD and from rebooting from the operating system using the Reboot to continue to Restore.

A poor Linux Driver, comes from Acronis, themselves. I don't have Linux installed on my computers.

Rebooting from the operating system, it froze on me at 54 minutes remaining. I had to reset or restart. It did not work.

8. seekforever

By booting up the second XP it then saw the other XP as just data rather than an active partition and stayed within Windows.

Yes, the Linux comes from Acronis. It is the OS used in their Full rescue environment and your problem sounds like the usual one. Other options are to use the TI Safe mode which is a form of DOS and does not support USB, Firewire or Networking although USB does work on some motherboards. However, it tends to be slow. You can also make a BartPE bootable CD which is a form of Windows and uses Windows device drivers. You can also load drivers if necessary when it is built.

If I were you, I'd try the TI11 Trial and see if the newer implementation fixes the problem. If not, you can raise an official support ticket with Acronis who will ask you to submit some informatin about your system and then provide you with a special .iso file to create the rescue CD. This is the proper way to do it since the fix should then get incorporated into future builds of the product for all users of that chipset. However, they may only do this for TI11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.