SATA drive to USB External

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mavisk, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavisk

Mavisk Registered Member

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I would like to know if it is possible to back up an image of my XP OS which is on a SATA drive to an external usb 2 drive, and successfully restore it.

The reason I ask is that I tried this, using a free version(not a trial) of true image off a disc that came with a PC magazine (not sure what version it was, mag was out about a year ago) and I was able to make an image, but when I came to restore the image nothing happened just a black screen with the keyboard lights flashing.
    Don't know if this was because it was not the latest version or not.

I am happy to buy the latest version of this product but would like to make sure its going to work before I splash my cash.

Many thanks

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hi Mavisk,

Your previous problem was probably due to the Rescue CD lacking the necessary drivers for your USB controller.

There are various tricks to try to force/downgrade the Rescue CD to access devices in a different way, but I am not sure in what version of TI this option made it into the Rescue CD. Look in the FAQ for words like "quiet=off", "noapic" and "apci=off".

With my old TI 6.0, I had to create bootable diskettes where I could add those switches to the boot sequence. Perhaps you can do the same?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mavisk,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

It seems that yo uhave old Acronis True Image 7.0. It didn't support SATA drives. Please download free trial version of Acronis True Image 8.0 from our site, create Acronis Bootable CD, boot your computer with it and see whether you encounter any problems (there shouldn't be any). You may try to restore the image you have using this CD and go upto the latest step that will not be allowed because of trial limitation. Please note that no actions will performed during all these steps with the CD created with the trial version.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Mavisk

Mavisk Registered Member

Thanks for the replies,
    I'll give it a go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.