Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by khanyash, Mar 25, 2014.

1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Is there any compatibility probs between free Sandboxie & free Bitdefender AV?

Is free Sandboxie "start with Windows" required?

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Sandboxie is not required to start with Windows. You can untick the option "When Windows start" in Configure>Windows Shell Integration.

In the past, Sandboxie has conflicted with some of Bit Defenders extra protections but NOT the antivirus itself. Bit defenders free version and Sandboxie should get along well as long as you do not enable anything but the antivirus.

Bo

3. khanyash

My system is Win 7 64 Bits.

So should I download the default installer 32+64 from main page or download 64 installer from the section "All versions"?

4. bo elam

It doesn't really matter which version you use but I prefer to download the bits specific version from the All versions webpage (whenever its possible). You could also download instead the latest beta version, 4.09.01. It is beta but it is more stable than 4.08 and it is the one that I recommend you download at this time.

http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=18337

For the beta there is no bit specific version.

Bo

5. khanyash

They mention "Windows 64-bit: Fully supported without qualifications since version 4.02."

What do they mean?

6. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

"Notes About 64 Bit Edition

Starting with version 4.02, Sandboxie is now fully compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows, and provides all protection. The Experimental Protection setting is no longer needed and was removed."

See: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?NotesAbout64BitEdition

7. khanyash

What do they mean by "without qualifications" in the above sentence?

8. deugniet

9. khanyash

Thanxx for all the info.

10. khanyash

Known Probs section in Sandboxie mentions

Problem: Sandboxie version 4 is incompatible with BitDefender Antivirus to some small extent.

Solution: Adjust shield settings in BitDefender. Open main window, click the Settings icon, click the Antivirus Shield button. In the Shield tab of the ANTIVIRUS SETTINGS window, find the Active Virus Control title and move the slider on the right to OFF. (Note: This is the ON-OFF slider, not the Agressive-Normal-Permissive slider.)

Now as you know there are no settings in Bitdefender free so the above cannot be achieved.
    And disabling AVC i.e Behavior Blocker of a security products is not a good solution so that Sandboxie runs properly.

They have not mentioned the prob with AVC?

11. bo elam

narenbisht, the known problems webpage is old and some of the things in there are obsolete. If Bit defender free has AVC settings, disabling it is the known workaround. But I believe AVC does not exist anymore in Bit Defender. At least not with that name.

Like I said earlier, " Bit defenders free version and Sandboxie should get along well as long as you do not enable anything but the antivirus." If you do that, Bit Defender will work well along Sandboxie, otherwise, it wont.

Bo

12. khanyash

AVC - Active Virus Control is the Behaviour Blocker of Bitdefender products. Its still there & also there in Bitdefender free too but no settings are there in Bitdefender free.

Anyway, installed Sandboxie & everything is fine.

Few queries...
    I want to password protect the settings.
    So I went to lock config, there were 4 options, I chose 2nd i.e protect with password, a window opened with user name & password, user name -none (none was typed there) I didn't changed anything in user name, just entered password & set it, is it correct? or I have to type the user name too? or I have to select other options too?

I want to select autodelete
    So I went into sandbox settings, delete, & selected autodelete.
    Does autodelete takes time? i.e I browsed few mins & closed sandboxed browser. Then I selected to delete the contents & there were contents, they were not auto deleted?

13. bo elam

When you set a sandbox to delete on closing, the sandbox deletes automatically within a few seconds. After closing the sandbox, if you see a red X, it means the sandbox is being deleted. Sometimes, the scanning of the sandbox by antiviruses make a sandbox take a few extra seconds to delete but deleting should only take two three ,maybe five seconds. If it takes ...fifteen seconds every time, then there is probably a conflict. I use many sandboxes in both of my computers and the only sandbox that takes more than five seconds to delete is my IE10 sandbox in W7. But that really is normal. Sandboxes for IE10 and above should take a few extra seconds to delete and that doesn't mean there is anything wrong.

To set your sandbox to delete on closing, make sure you click Apply after ticking "Automatically delete contents of sandbox" in Sandbox settings>Delete>Delete invocation.

Perhaps, earlier, when you set the sandbox to delete on closing, you did not click Apply.

Bo

14. deugniet

15. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Thank you for this interesting remarks. I also realize a noticeable delay every time when I close (= delete) the sandbox with the Internet Explorer within it (about 15 seconds I would say). Fortunately usually I use Firefox where this delay does not occur.

So now I know that the delay with the IE is obviously something normal. ;)

16. bo elam

Hi Pete, Tzuk did talk about this once. You can also see it for yourself. If you run IE10/11 out of the sandbox, after you close the browser, you still can see IE running in task manager for a few seconds.

Bo

17. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

sandboxie always gives me the recycle bin error window pops up often and that has discouraged me from using it. sandboxie has some incompatibility lately.

So as long as this issue and others like windows 8.1 issues plagued it, I advice to stay away from it.

18. bo elam

I never heard of this error, you should report it at the Sandboxie forum. That way Invincea can try to reproduce it and fix it.

Bo

19. khanyash

I have disabled the option "start sandboxie with windows"
    So why SbieSvc.exe is running in task manager?

20. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Cause this setting doesn't belong to the service only to sandboxie control (SbieCtrl.exe).

21. khanyash

The task manager shows SbieSvc as Sandboxie Service.

Even if I am not running Sandboxie, SbieSvc is always there in task manager, is this normal?

Win 7 64
    64 Bit Sandboxie

22. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, that's normal. Sandboxie service is running even if you don't run sandboxie control at startup. You could set sandboxie service startup type to Manual and start it on demand but I never tested it so can't say if it would work without any problems.

hqsec

23. khanyash

Thanxx for the info

24. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If the Sandboxie service startup type is set to Manual, the service will be automatically started by Sandboxie Control when Sandboxie Control is started.

25. bo elam

Narenbisht, if you set Sandboxie service to manual, SbieSvc.exe will not show up in Task manager unless you run a program or file sandboxed using the right click action "Run sandboxed". Or if you use the options in Start>Sandboxie. Setting SBIE service to manual and using the right click action "Run sandboxed" makes Sandboxie on demand.

Unticking the Sandboxie control option, "When Windows start", keeps Sandboxie control (Sandboxie UI/Icon) from showing up when Windows start but it will show up when you run something sandboxed. If you untick the Sandboxie control option, "When a program starts in the sandbox", Sandboxie control wont show up even when something is running sandboxed.

If you disable Sandboxie service, nothing regarding Sandboxie will show up in Task manager and nothing will run sandboxed unless you change the service back to Automatic or Manual.

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.