Sandboxie with Ramdisk

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Quassar, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quassar

Quassar Registered Member

I found article how incerase vitality SSD and speed launch programs & other apps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4wJlg53hlQ

1)Ramdisk compare programs performance
    http://www.raymond.cc/blog/12-ram-disk-software-benchmarked-for-fastest-read-and-write-speed/
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1381131/ramdisks-roundup-and-testing

Here I chosen SoftPerfect Ramdisk

2)Sandboxie inside Ramdisk
    I created 1GB ramdisk NTFS format and moved sandboxie container folder to this ramdisk.

And my Question is:
    Does it make sense to move
    "cache FireFox To RAM" or "change path of cache to ramdisk"
    when i have already sandboxied firefox inside ramdisk ?!
    http://lifehacker.com/5687850/speed-up-firefox-by-moving-your-cache-to-ram-no-ram-disk-required
    http://support.mozilla.org/pl/questions/768867

2. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I've had my SBIE container in a RAM disc for a number of years and never felt the need to do what you're asking. The container in a RAM disc method allows the whole browser session to run in RAM rather than just storing cache files.

If you regularly run the browser outside the sandbox and do a significant amount of surfing un-sandboxed then you would potentially gain something I suppose but if you generally always sandbox Firefox I can't really see the benefit.

Cheers

3. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Unless you've given firefox.exe direct access to its cache folder location, any writes to the cache should be redirected to the Sandboxie container folder on the ramdisk.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If you put Sandboxie container on Ramdisk, you don't need to put FF cache there also. All write operations will be redirected there by SBIE.

hqsec

5. Quassar

So good i think its will be overall
    becasue never mind how i setup programs sandboxie will still redirect for myself path
    but if i use firefox for update with out sandboxie than these setup will work and have sens

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I run both SBIE Container and FF Profile Folder from my Ramdisk. Though I do have to redo the Ramdisk image everything I do manual updates to FF un-sandboxed, i.e. New Bookmarks, New\Updated Add-ons, etc.

dja2k

7. Quassar

I gonna start do it also.
    how about Firefox i keep him still instaled on main disc

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

If you mean the Firefox installation in Program Files, then yes that is ok to leave it as is.

If you don't know how to move the Profile Folder to your Ramdisk, go here.

dja2k

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  9. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

So I did as you suggested and just set the container to R; (my ramdisk) so that is all that is needed? If so if there any way to check to see if it is indeed working? Using chrome BTW

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  10. bberkey1

Also, if this is the correct way for the internet cache, will they be removed as normal if I clean the browsing history as they normally do?

11. Minimalist

If you delete sandbox container when exiting Chrome, all browsing history will be deleted automatically. Just set it to delete sandbox upon exit and don't worry about browsing history ever again.

hqsec

12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

The Ram Disc should be mounted for you to see like any other drive. Navigate to it and examine the contents.

Yes, as hqsec says the Ram Disc acts like a normal drive, as such files can be created and deleted as usual. The advantage is even if you forget or something goes wrong everything is cleared on re-boot anyway.

Cheers

13. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

I use the free Softperfect Ramdisk (http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/) with Sandboxie beta 4.09. Works great. Mount and dismount a ramdisk, no need to reboot computer. And a wipe-feature: "Tick Wipe Memory on Dismount to securely wipe memory used for the disk out on dismounting the disk."

http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/manual/

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  14. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Yeah I use it too. Very good, easy to use and works great. What you suggest is a nice quick way of clearing the entire Sanboxed session.

Cheers

15. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

@chris1341

Handy tip: Tick Mount as Removable if you do not want Windows to create the Recycled or System Volume Information folders on the disk. These folders are used by the Recycle Bin and System Restore features.

Recovering files/programs from the ramdisk-sandbox doesnt always work as it should be. Dunno why.

16. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Nice tip, thanks:thumb: . Don't have that issue though. I can recover files fine.

17. bberkey1

Thanks for the tip. One question in regards to the cache: If the sandbox deletes the contents and thus the temporary internet files, wouldn't that take away from the concept of the RAM disk, if they need to be recreated each browsing session?

18. Minimalist

It all depends on what you want to achieve. If you don't want to delete browser's cache, you shouldn't enable SBIE's auto-delete and should save ramdisk to HDD when shutting down system. If you want to delete cache you can either enable auto-delete in SBIE (cache will be deleted after each browsing session) or not save Ramdisk to HDD when shutting down (cache will be deleted upon system shutdown).

hqsec

19. bberkey1

Thanks for the information hqsec and for your time:thumb:

20. Minimalist

You're welcome :)

hqsec

21. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

some aspects from inside
    you have cache laid into sandboxie with about:config and/or forced folders to prevent outbreak from cache.
    ofc Firefox must run outside sandboxie othrwise its a pointless configuration.

it makes no sense cache laid into ram and expect firefox working properly after shut down ramdisk and/or windows without firefox letting know about. you need firefox to force to clean cache when ending otherwise you will get site errors for sure if you kick off cache while firefox expects data where no data exists.

22. masterhunter

masterhunter Registered Member

Good day
    a question:
    If i set this parameters with about:config in my firefox do i still need a ramdisk for put cache to ram with firefox sanboxedo_O

browser.cache.disk.enable false
    browser.cache.memory.enable true
    browser.cache.memory.capacity -1 (or modify in the options)

Thanks

23. masterhunter

masterhunter Registered Member

No tryed today and doesnt work...a lot of files is written in sanboxie folder expecially when video streaming

So dont change anything in about:config and simply:
    -create a ramdisk
    -put sanboxie container folder to ramdisk
    -ENJOY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.