Sandboxie: Windows Installer discontinued and now ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Banshee, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Hi,

I wanted to install prosecurity in sandboxie but the installation failed. I looked for the windows installer service option but it is now gone. I checked on their site and the windows installer has been now discontinued in the 3*.* versions.

I searched their forum and they suggest this workaround." start an installation that sandboxie handles well and go/revert back to your installation" or something along those lines.

I tried and it doesn't work here.

Any of you experienced this ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

B-

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Banshee

Not surprised it didn't work. Thats the whole point of sandboxie, to prevent stuff that installs drivers and services from doing so.

If you want to test ProSec and be able to remove it, this probably isn't the right tool.

Pete

3. Banshee

Hi Pete,

Looks like it.But.Older sandboxie versions allowed me to do that tho so I don't see why I can't now.

Anyway I tried installing PS with Returnil on. Installation failed with that too :-(

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can,t install PS in SBIE! It,s driver/ service can,t be installed. That,s SBIE,s protection. It,s a sandbox not a VM.
    Why u want to do this BTW?

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Older versions even will not allow. It can fail even in Returnil type shadow software.

If u want to try like this, try in Disk protection of Windows Steady state or beter use VM.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, if I read your situation correctly;

Peter is right. You may not fully understand what does a sandbox application, such as sandboxie or defensewall etc do. Any program d/l with it turned on, is treated as untrusted.

To install the d/l, you need firstly to remove it from sandbox application or change it to trusted. Otherwise, the installation will not succeed.

I can install any program with DeepFreeze's freeze mode on, but the installed program will disappear after reboot. I would image the same happened to Returnil.

Take care.

7. Banshee

@aigle

>U can,t install PS in SBIE! It,s driver/ service can,t be installed. >That,s SBIE,s protection. It,s a sandbox not a VM.
    >Why u want to do this BTW?

I guess wanted to have a look at it and get rid of it right away without rebooting.I already did a copy/update with FirstDefense before installing but was hoping it would work with sandboxie.My mistake.-

>Older versions even will not allow. It can fail even in Returnil type >shadow software.

I already installed software that required windows installer service in sandboxie and I thought it was ok with PS as well :-(

Ignorance rules.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U should try it in a spare snapshot of FDISR. When have a much better option, why bother for troubles.

9. Banshee

I did thanks.I first did a copy/update, installed PS, had a look at it, booted to the other snapshot and did copy/update.Software gone no prob.First Defense is way cool. You don't have to bother with uninstalling and checking for program leftovers ever:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.