Sandboxie + Windows Firewall + AV online scan? is it a good combo

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by albsat, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albsat

albsat Registered Member

I have been using a lot of times Sandboxie free version. I like it but I don't use it often as I am very prudent in how I use my browser and I rely on my antivirus at the same time.

However my AV is expiring and I am considering a good combo investment for a couple of years. How about Sandboxie + Windows Firewall + AF online scanner (Like F-secure, Dr. Web, etc) as a combo?

What do you think?

2. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

well i can recommend sandboxie,if you know what you are doing the sandboxie alone would be fine,without the need for realtime AV.
    if you are paranoid,or perhaps you have inexperienced users using your PC,or perhaps tighten bit more ! LOL then i would also recommend AppGuard.
    windows 7 firewall is good enough.
    sandboxie is a lifetimes investment at one years price and so is AppGuard.

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Thats pretty much what I am doing so I know it can be done. I feel more relax and safer doing it like that. I never asked anyone if it was OK to do it, I just did it, making the decision was easy and on the spot, I didn't ponder about it, you are asking something that only you know if you are going to be better off by going without an AV.

But I recommend you start using SBIE more often, specially since you are thinking about going without an antivirus and reliying in the program. Theres really no reason, in my opinion, not to use Sandboxie all the rime.

Bo

4. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

That combination is OK and enough if you practice safe computing. As arsenaloyal said, if you have other people using the computer, you can use additional protection.
    I use Windows built-in features: Standard User Acoount and Software Restriction Policies, but you can use other hardening techniques also (HIPS, BB ...).

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

As for firewall I would use PrivateFirewall as it has good HIPS.

6. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

No need to go the full-monty. Avastfree AV stripped down to the file-Guard only is super-low impact.

7. albsat

albsat Registered Member

I guess than Sandboxie + MSE (antivirus and firewall), would be a very good combo. I know what I do and what I download. Never had a virus problem since 10 years. :)

I wonder, where are the setup guides for Sandboxie? there was a good thread somewhere in web. Any hint guys?

thanx again

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I am sure it is a very good combo. If I was using a real time AV, MSE would be the one that I would be using.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine and myself bought the same exact computer, even though I installed MSE on his and nothing on mine, both computers behave the same. MSE is not causing any noticeable impact in his computer, they work great together.

Bo

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

The sandbox support is their online help and tutorials.
    I joined their forum

www.sandboxie.com

They actually respond to queries:thumb:

10. Solarlynx

What I love in SBIE - it's very light and strong. :thumb:
    As for the MSE - it's even lighter. You even cannot notice if it installed or not. Though it only detects known malware.

11. Solarlynx

Is it good enough with default settings? There is some thread in the Wilders about tuning it but I feel helpless when I try to follow it. I use Win-7.

12. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

However you choose to do it, I recommend scanning your downloads before removing them from the sandbox. If you'd like to drop the footprint of your real-time AV, and are a Firefox user, look for a post entitled "VT Hash Check - autoscan" in the "other AV" section in here. If you're certain your box is already clean, it's a great option. Sully pointed out how to do something similar with MSE for IE & Chrome. VT Uploader & VTzilla are other options.

That and add a backup/imaging regimen, like a product like Macrium Reflect.

Windows FW... fine for inbound protection. If you care to filter outbound traffic & apps, I'd go with Comodo FW w/ Defense+. But if you lack the care, or inclination for those things the Win FW is just fine for inbound only. While the Vista/7 FW does have outbond control, it's just not intuitive enough for my wants/needs. As much as I hate to install 3'rd party software if I don't have to, in this case it's warranted to me.

Add EMET as well if you're using Vista or 7.

13. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

14. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
  15. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I'm also using only Win 7 firewall all outbound allowed as default. Avast AV and Sandboxie.

I would not use an AV without an active scan and shields. These days internet can contain some viruses/trojans when surfing and I like to know the sites that have them. Time then to delete the sandbox and not to go login in some accounts right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.