Sandboxie -- will it be useful on Windows 8?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Fox Mulder, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

I'm a long time Sandboxie user but I hear that Experimental Protection won't be available on Windows 8 64bit. This makes me wonder: is Sandboxie still useful on Windows 8? It seems like the new features in 8 will cause it to take an effectiveness hit.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It won't be available *immediately* - it may in the future at some point, no way to be sure.

But it's still not a big deal. It means that in certain situations if an attacker uses a kernel exploit they can gain higher privileges than sandboxie and escape the sandbox.

It can still restrict malware running as an administrator AFAIK and you can use Drop Rights to make up for the difference.

3. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Even better question: will Windows still be useful on Windows 8?

Answer: No.

Rationale: Windows 8 puts fake, mobile-like "apps" before real, desktop applications, and attempts to string two completely different graphical user interfaces together in a completely illogical and unnecessary manner. I would have thought Microsoft would have learned by now that no matter how strongly they want to force something radical (or no matter how much they are convinced people want something that is radically different), they should always, always, ALWAYS make it optional/granular/controllable.

Why am I ranting in this thread? Don't know. Just figured why use Sandboxie in Windows Useless when you can enjoy it in Windows 7.

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

This probably belongs in the Windows 8 thread :D A good percentage of people have figured out that Windows 8 has a good chance of being a Vista, but that has little to do with Sandboxie. My opinion is that it will still have some use. It might not be as powerful as it is on previous Windows editions, but that's just an untested guess on my part.

5. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

i must say i have not tested SBIE on windows 8,I dont see the point as i wont be using windows 8

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Will Sandboxie be useful on Windows 8? Completely depends on the functionality the AppContainer sandbox can/will provide to non-Metro apps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.