Sandboxie -- Who has stopped using it and why?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Frank the Perv, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Early next year to be precise.

2. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

No delays in browser startup with AppGuard. I always run in High protection level. I've added my other security programs as power apps, otherwise no changes to default settings.

3. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Thanks!:)

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

That's good to know. I've been thinking of switching things up. I figured appguard is as secure as sandboxie. I would love to lose the 2-3 second delay in opening my browsers with sandboxie. I've gotten used to it though. I think if I run appguard I could do it in lockdown. Much like sandboxie it takes a little configuration to run happily.

5. mattbiernat

mattbiernat Registered Member

I think I used Sandboxie when it first came out. Most people still didn't know about it and didn't even think it was possible for Sandboxie to replace AV. Then I forgot about it (dunno how?!) and now I decided that Rollback Rx + Macrium Reflect is much smoother solution.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts. Focus on Sandboxie and Not Attacking Each Other. Thank You.

7. hrnayy

hrnayy Registered Member

Well I stopped using it recently because I am unable to use it under Windows 8 PRO (x64). :oops:

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I've stopped using it because wsa does not work with sbie. Now using wsa only.:)

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

WSA anti-malware protection does work with Sandboxie. The sandbox is only another folder that will be scanned by WSA. It's only the WSA Identity Shield that doesn't work with sandboxed applications. It would be of benefit to run both applications because they cover different use cases.

For normal surfing on untrusted websites, the main goal is to prevent the browser session from infecting the system. Sandboxing the browser is a far more certain way of achieving this than relying on WSA. I'm not thrilled by Webroot's assurances that WSA monitors system changes so that it can reverse any infection later. Agreed it's better than what a lot of AVs do but if it were me, I would prefer to minimise the chance of the system getting compromised in the first place.

With online banking and shopping on trusted websites, the situation is different. Here the main goal is to prevent an already infected system from compromising the browser session, which is exactly what WSA Identity Shield is designed for. As there is no need to use Sandboxie on trusted websites, the browser can run outside of the sandboxed environment where Identity Shield will work.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay I've started using sbie again. Removed wsa. Can't stay away from sbie for long. :)

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I wasn't suggesting that you remove WSA. I assume that you've got a paid license for WSA so you might as well use it. As I said, there are benefits from running both Sandboxie and WSA.

Which AV are you now using or have you decided to go AV free and rely on Sandboxie instead?

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Not only Identity Shield but also the whole of Web Threat Shield. And who knows what more. I can only say what I see on the interface of WSA. But as we know, it also works other ways hidden from a users view.

I agree.

I would not use either WSA or Sbie for Banking online.

I follow the setup for Online Banking described here http://tomazyk.webs.com/

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

A good well thought out strategy. :)

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Well that was not in response to your post.
    Yes of course I have. No worries. It's being used in family pcs. But I would have been happy to use it in my own pc. :(
    No AV for now. If I decide to add a AV I'd probably choose from the list in Application under sandbox settings. :D

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yes it's less hassle and strong protection. Gives me a peace of mind when carrying out my routine online banking sessions.:)

16. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

There is evidence of malware which can survive a re image .
    Regards.:thumb:

17. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Didn't read the whole thread but my 2¢! Purchased Sb for $15 years ago. It is good for all PCs I own so it's on a Vista laptop, XP desktop and now this W7 machine I built, running in 64bit experimental mode. Think about that, $15 for lifetime (updates of course), multi PC license. Wow!

18. guest

guest Guest

"There is evidence of malware which can survive a re image ."

only place it could be is in the bios of the motherboard

Then just re-flash
    but this is unlikely although possible

19. There are other places you can stick a rootkit. x86 SMM code and ethernet card firmware come to mind; GPU firmware would probably also be possible. OTOH, hardware is very diverse, and writing hardware rootkits that worked on disparate machines would probably be nontrivial.

(I don't think that applies to SMM code though. Not sure. Actually I'm not sure why there aren't SMM rootkits in the wild right now.)

20. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Remind how to save the sandboxie settings please.

21. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

This is my fear as well. I've seen so many other vendors fold because offering lifetime licenses is generally not a sustainable model long term. And when these small companies, or 1 man shows even sell out... the quality of the product always suffers. Not to mention the credibility... can you even trust the new guys running the show?

If people want to ensure the long term future of this product, and that it will be in capable hands (Tzuk)... send donations. Whatever you can. Even if we all sent $1, that would add up. I'm going to now that I thought about it.

And I hope this isn't seen as soliciting, or whatever. If so, and/or if Tzuk doesn't like what I just posted here, feel free to remove it and accept my apology.

22. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

Copy the file Sandboxie.ini which contains the Sandboxie settings located C:\Windows\Sandboxie.ini.Replace this file when needed.

23. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Good idea, but Tzuk does not accept donations. See for exempale this thread in the Sandboxie-Forum: http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5721

So the only way to support his work is to buy a licence (or more than one). ;)

24. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

Yes infact initially I bought sandboxie thinking ok one user and any PC license for me that I own,after a year when i got my laptop,I bought another license just to support the guy !

Perhaps sandboxie would make a better gifting option as well ! Just my thoughts.

25. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I really wish he would re-consider that position. In general it disgusts me seeing people ask for handouts, especially for crappy addons, but in his case it's well warranted... what you can an extenuating circumstance. He's offering a great product at such a low price, and from what I understand doing all the work himself. He's more than entitled to some help.

I can only hope he's making out well and that the product is in good hands for a long time.

Maybe I'll have to buy a friend a licensed copy for Christmas this year or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.