Sandboxie - Vidalia bundle - Proxomitron

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Seishin, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

What is the safest and most functional of all these products when it comes to web use. I have also considered mixing one or two if needed.

Another requirement I'm after is hiding my IP address. I am aware Sandboxie lacks of this feature so I was thinking that maybe the bundled version of Tor or Proxo offer the same protection plus hiding my IP.

What are your recommendations guys?

Thx.

:)

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

idk what Vidalia bundle is but u mentioned several softwares, each with a different purpose.

sandboxie is a sandbox for individual applications like email or your browser. it separate those programs from your system so that any malware (that becomes downloaded) wont infect ur OS or personal files.

proxomitron is a multifunctional proxy. it can change the appearance of sites, remove ads, disable media, disable cookies etc.

and lastly tor is a anonymizer type proxy.

3. Seishin

I know they are all different but wondering which of them would be the most optimal in terms of surfing the Net safely without ending up with a zombie machine.

Maybe Firefox 1.5 with the Vidalia bundle is a great solution. What do you think? It'd be be ideal to incorporate Sandboxie as well but I guess you need a supercomputer to handle that. So what other extra could I add if I decide to choose:

Firefox 1.5 + Vidalia bundle + ?

Thx.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  4. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Sandboxie, without any doubt. But as stated, Sandboxie doesn't protect your surfing privacy at all, it just protects you from "infections".

You guess wrong. Sandboxie produces no slowdowns at all, at least not that I've seen even on "slow" computers.

5. Seishin

TNT,

So what freebie would nicely complement Sandboxie in terms of privacy?

Thx,

6. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

7. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

I use all 3. Proxo limits the amount of info my comp sends out but it still sends out my IP (no way around this). Sandboxie protects me from any nasties I pick up browsing. Tor/Vidalia/Privoxy hides my IP, although these days, I run Tor almost exclusively as a server. The more people do this, the better Tor becomes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.