Sandboxie versus GesWall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheMozart, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I really respect people's opinions and experiences on this forum, so I am in the process of making an important decision.... Sandboxie or GesWall.

Can people please give their personal experiences with both of these and why you choose one over the other for the safest surfing.

And if I use Geswall on Vista, can I keep UAC on, or I heard that Geswall doesn't work well with Vista's UAC? Is there a solution?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i dont think it is a good idea to versus one to other program to much flames will be here very soon:D

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Not at all. We are all mature people on here. People don't need to debate each other, just give me their personal thoughts and experiences.

They can reply to me, not to each other.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

dont forget that also it is not allow to versus in the forum:)

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Ok, can I please request an admin to close this thread then. I didn't know it was against forum rules to share the differences between applications in a "verses" environment.

6. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

I GO WITH SANDBOXIE

geswall is not match to him in any aspects :)

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

That only applies to antivirus A versus B. Other types of security apps are not similarly restricted. By the way, who made you a Mod? ;)

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

really?:D sorry TheMozart my bad:) no wonder no moderators complaints:D sorry again

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

GW is fully operational on XP, but if you are on Vista you have to disable UAC for full functionality. They have yet to change this.

So if you are on Vista I would definitely pick Sandboxie but it depends upon how you view UAC.

As with all comparisons, try the two with your machine and then select which one suits you and your hardware/software.

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

No problems ;)

11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yes, I didn't know that until recently, that I would need to disable UAC to get full functionality. I want to keep UAC on.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  12. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

I can only speak from my own experience. I've tried both and have found that Geswall slowed the internet browser down noticeably whereas Sandboxie did not slow it down at all. I tried them both about six months ago and am currently using Sandboxie.

13. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Having used both programs for awhile, I can honestly say both are very good at what they do. I found a slight slow down with both programs while using FF or IE. I only used these programs for browser sessions. For some reason I felt more secure using GeSWall. I'm sure SBIE is just secure if not more but is more transparent to the user. Ex. If I went to a rogue site, GeSWall will fire off a bunch of Deny popups if the site tries to hijack your browser. SBIE on the other hand will let the site hijack all it wants but is only effecting your sandbox and not your real browser. When you exit SBIE, everything gets flushed down the toilet.

Bottom line, try both and settle on the one which works best with your configuration.

Ice

14. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

GeSWall seems to be more proactive than Sandboxie, in regards to real-time blocking of malware.
    If it identifies unwanted hijacking of your OS by malware, it immediately notifies you that it has blocked the malware, most of the time without user intervention.

Though Sandboxie forum is more 'proactive' than GeSWall's forum.

But maybe that's because there's not many compatible issues and bugs with GeSWall ;)

Just my 2c.

15. subset

subset Registered Member

Don't think this has anything to do with proactive, just with rendering popups.
    Both (and DefenseWall) block malware from hijacking the real system without much user intervention, just with different concepts.
    Whatever concept fits the personal needs may be preferable.

Cheers

16. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

While the functionality offerred by the applications is of paramount importance there are other factors you should consider if choosing between one or other product. Namely the support you will get if you have a problem and the commitment to development to keep the product up to date with new attack methods or OS/software upgrades.

In this regard Geswall is to my mind an all but dead product (or at least one moving very slowly). On the other hand sbie is extemely vibrant with excellent support and has a developer who is commited to development and improvement.

Go with what suits you best but consider the future when deciding.

Cheers

17. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I Agree.

There's an impression the boffins at Geswall are sleeping on the job. Their forum has practically zero going on. Just ask a question there, and all you will see are a bunch of tumbleweeds rolling past.

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Not so. My questions at GesWall forum were answered on the same day by Henk. See HERE and also HERE.

My recent email to support at gentlesecurity dot com was answered the day after I sent it.

As I said in an earlier post, GesWall (GW) was updated 6 months ago to be current with Win7, as well as Vista & XP. Furthermore, their blog says that version 3 will cover 64-bit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GesWall is not better than Sandboxie (SB). Nor is SB better than GW. I have paid versions of both programs. They have different security methodologies, & each of them applies its respective methodology splendidly.

I use GW or DefenseWall (DW) for day to day computer work & surfing. Until recently, I used SB when testing software or malware. However, I bought a license for Shadow Defender (SD) several days ago, and it has now displaced SB as my first choice for software or malware testing.

GW, DW, SB, SD -- they are all 4 at the bleeding front edge of their respective security categories. ANY one of them will give your computer superb protection. Thus, the choice primarily boils down to determining which of these security apps feels most comfortable in YOUR hands on YOUR computer.

IMO OP's next step should be to test-drive these security apps, as opposed to trying to get other people to do all the work for him.

By the way -- if OP doesn't already have a good drive-imaging program then his immediate BEST upgrade to his security would be to install one of those (such as Macrium, Acronis, etc), and henceforth use it regularly. Having a current image of one's (hopefully) clean computer is (IMO) better than ANY other security app that I know of.

I'm not saying that an imager should displace any other security apps. It should NOT do so. What I am saying is that an imager should be at the top of one's priority list for security -- both as to prevention of malware, AND as to recovery from drive failure.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I have had exceptional email support from Brian Walche since the day I purchased a GeSWall license almost 2 years ago.

Glad to see you using GeSWall, bellgamin. You are a worthy forum voice for this fine software. :thumb:

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is GesWall licence for life or yearly?

21. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Ok bellgamin. Well I can't be bothered to go searching for the question I asked at Geswall's forum (which remained unanswered on the Geswall forum 1st page for about 2 months). I wasn't alone, as well ... as I do remember someone else chipping in and wondering the same as what I asked. We got no reply.

I got the answer to my question from Kees here @ Wilders. Which isn't too surprising.

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

My understanding (actually a quote from support)...

"Upgrade from 2.x to 3.x would have certain discount. I cannot say yet
    the numbers. Upgrades from 2.x to 2.y are free."

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks page42:cool:

24. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

As I already asked in another thread, someone knows when the version 3.0 will be released ? :rolleyes:

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Without any sign of a beta version release, I'd say a long time off.
    What did you hear on the other thread, blacknight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.