sandboxie v4 out Jan 10, 2013

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by soccerfan, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Bo,

I have been using v4 betas from 1 to 11 for the last six months. Right now I have v4.01.11 installed and it doesn't work properly. I replied to Osaban specific statement, "no more errors with version .11."

For me 11 has lots of errors with both Firefox and iexplorer.

Tzuk has a statement on his website that v3.76 is compatible with Windows 8, even though that Windows 8 reports that Sandboxie is not compatible with Windows 8.

The above is a false statement from Tzuk.

And, I have now been using betas for the last six months, working under an unsecured environment.

No doubt it is getting better as the time goes on, but how long I am supposed to tolerate this?

Best regards,

Mohamed

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I think what you wrote above is the bottom line. You know, SBIE is changing the way it does things and W8 is a new system, it gotta take time to make things go smooth between the two. It would help everyone that uses Sandboxie if you go to the Sandboxie forum and write about the issues that you are seeing.

Take good care

Bo

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I understand the frustration of waiting for bug free products. They don't exist.

On Beta's they are in test mode and users need to understand that and wait patiently for the work to finish. SDBIE is a one man show not M$.

Nobody is forcing us to use the beta so if a user can't tolerate the wait then don't use the product. We would be the first to complain if it came out in final form and still had serious bugs we didn't report.

There are other products.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have no errors with my Windows 8, and the OS has never reported SB as incompatible. The latest errors had been caused by a MS update, and have been quickly addressed by Tzuk.

5. aladdin

I don't think that you read my posts carefully. I am forced to use betas with Windows 8 as there is no stable version available that works with Windows 8.

What you do mean by other products?

I have a lifetime license for Sandboxie. Period!

6. aladdin

The above is understatement. Windows 8 shows the stable v3.76 is incompatible with Windows 8, and v3.76 is broken and doesn't work.

All the betas so far have been giving one type of error or another for the last six months. Even the latest beta .11 doesn't work with Office 2013.

Best regards,

7. aladdin

Dearest Bo,

From where did you get the idea that I have not reported the bugs at Sandboxie forum. However, I am tired of reporting these bugs.

Windows 8 is not a new system, it is more than six months old, and the RC was available to the developer much, much longer than that.

In v4, Tzuk wants to change things drastically than it is fine and much the better. But in the meantime v3 should be released as a stable version to work with Windows 8.

For how long I am expected to test betas, work under unsecured environment and keep on reporting these bugs?

6 months, 7 months, 8 months ...........

Best regards,

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You don't seem to accept the possibility that what happens with you doesn't necessarily happen with all machines running Windows 8. Version 3.76 works perfectly with my Windows 8 (64bit), no errors and no incompatibility warning from the OS.

I don't normally use SB betas, but in this particular case I do, as Tzuk said that the experimental feature in V3.76 protecting 64 bit machines doesn't seem to work with Windows 8 (64bit).

A far cry from saying that V.376 is broken and considering that many security applications have had huge difficulties with 64 bit machines (KPP-Kernel Patch Protection/Patch Guard) one should try to be a bit more understanding towards Tzuk.

Avira still hasn't implemented its behavior module 'ProActive' in 64bit machines (more than 3 years), DefenseWall has never found an acceptable compromise for 64 bit which could even in time threaten its own existence.

Office 2013 doesn't work with SB? You mean it cannot be sandboxed? Not an issue for me, I only sandbox my browser.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  9. aladdin

Hi Osaban,

I have Windows 8 x64 on four machines. With v3.76, the latest iexplorer refuses to run.

Also, Firefox keeps on crashing.

Best regards,

10. aladdin

I am not sure what claim Avira and DefenseWall are making regarding Windows 8.

I hope that they are not making false claims that they are compatible with Windows 8, like Tzuk is making regarding v3.76 and Windows 8.

11. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

A very sensible post Osaban.

SBIE was the first thing I installed on Windows 8. Never considered 3.76 broken, just in transition to full functionality on the new kernal and still more functional than almost any other x64 security application.

Other than ten days or so after the windows update the beta cycle has gone well for me as well. I hope he gets the Office 2013 issue resolved as it will let me go back to just SBIE and srp but AppGuard is keeping those apps well behaved meantime.

If you buy the product and you know it is the work of a single developer then you need to accept things will take time to deliver. My view at any rate.

12. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

13. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

14. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I can't find a beta changelog either. You can look through some recent beta threads and he'll post if that particular issue is fixed.

15. wolfrun

Neither do I see any. One thing I did notice in .12, on my system anyway, in the Software Compatibility List and the Configuration Global list is that Microsoft Office Licensing was added. o_O Wonder what that is about.

16. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

There has never been change-logs for betas. If you check the threads in the beta section Tzuk updates the issues covered in the dot/point release.

This one for example attempted a fix for Office 2013 (didn't work for me) and Solid Converter PDF compatibility was added.

Cheers

17. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Just to confirm this was due to the method I used to install Office 2013 (online installer utilising Microsoft's App-V virtualization engine).

SBIE will not work with the App-V install (see http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8241) so I downloaded the off-line installer and re-installed.

When installed by this method I'm delighted to confirm that .12 does indeed resolve the issues with Office 2013.

I know other may still have issues but V4 is now running extremely well for me on Win 8x 64

Cheers

18. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

19. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Microsoft Office Licensing was added to my Software Compatibility List too. I don't have Microsoft Office installed and never have so I find that strange.

20. wolfrun

I have the same problem. I posted an inquiry reply over at the Sandboxie forum about this; shall see what the answer is am sure.

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Have you got MS Office viewer installed?

22. wolfrun

Not that I know of. I have Windows Photo viewer installed.

Edit: According to tzuk, seems as though sppsvc windows 32 (Software Protection Platform Service) is the cause. Further reference found here at Sandboxie forum. -http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=15597

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  23. Escalader

Does anybody know if/when ZA will be compatible with Sandboxie?

It is listed as a conflict on the forum/site with a mitigation involving turning off the ZA on access scanner. That doesn't seem a good solution IMHO.

Fax as our ZA guy ;) can you elaborate?

24. Escalader

3 days and no response.

It looks like the answers are:

1. secret
    2. not known
    3. it is negative and reflects poorly on ZA

25. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I think turning off the ZA on access scanner is the only solution. If it was me, I would use another antivirus, one that's known to get along with SBIE. I would kind of hate it if ZA interferes with SBIE at the worst of times, like for example, if something malicious is in the sandbox and you want to delete it.

Bo

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.