Sandboxie technical tests and other technical topics discussion thread

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by MrBrian, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

If your going to use Sandboxie please learn how to configure and use it with apps. :)

Download folder locations can be restricted & C:\WINDOWS prevented from "write access".

Use firewall that monitors inbound/outbound connections. (rules/apps/processes)

2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Specifically, there is benefit in ensuring that a) internet-facing apps get no access to user data areas and b) programs accessing user data areas get no internet access (both being enforced by the relevant sandbox). I find that quite easy to do, the main risk is with Outlook which necessarily sees the internet and has access to the email store (the functions ought to be separated but are not).

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If Outlook dont have access to your mails, you cant use Outlook. Thats not Sandboxie. Anyway, when you apply EMail settings in Applications for Outlook, that makes outlook.exe the only program in the sandbox thats allowed access to your mails (saved out of the sandbox). That alone makes Outlook users more secure by running the client sandboxed than not. Hopefully you don't believe that you are better off to run Outlook unsandboxed (like Mr Brian yesterday theorizing that is safer to run PDFs unsandboxed).:)

Bo

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Since Outlook is an email client separating the internet access from the email store just doesn't make sense. Neither does theorizing it is safer to run unsandboxed. That is nonsense. The only issue is useablity. I like running Outlook sandboxed, but in the end it just causes me a lot issues, because of the way other software has to interact with Outlook. Ergo I end up protecting Outlook with appguard.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Like I already said, if you want to restrict apps running in the sandbox, use anti-exe, anti-logger/HIPS and a firewall. Or harden the sandbox with extra restrictions and data protection. Problem solved. We already came to the conclusion that SBIE does not stop all behaviors that are possibly malicious. But it will contain them.

For example, it does not block "code injection" inside the sandbox, because if it did, some tools like download managers (with video sniffer) would not work. But if it was malicious it would not be able to inject code into processes running outside the sandbox, and can't infect the system.

6. bo elam

I agree, Pete. I never used Outook but when I used Outlook express, never experienced issues using the program sandboxed but I only ran OE, Firefox and Foxit in that sandbox. No addons or anything that interacted with the client.

Bo

7. Peter2150

My problem with using Outlook sandboxed is when I Invoice my clients in Quickbooks it sends the invoices as an attachment to an invoice and then sends to Outlook. That doesn't work when Outlook is sandboxed.

8. deBoetie

Oh, I agree, what I'm after is a properly architected form of email client where the communications/protocol handler part/process is separate from the mailstore/search and view functions. And each of them appropriately sandboxed. They could communicate fairly securely using file-drop or IPC, but they would be distinct.

We know, for example, that email or attachment viewers/editors are attacked, and they should run in a sandbox which has no internet access, and preferably, no access to other email data or other user data areas.

Clearly, not going to happen with Outlook.

9. Peter2150

Is there in fact any that work that way?

10. deBoetie

No, but I'm wondering about running Mailpile on a RPi locally, or maybe in a little VM, and browsing to that (from a sandboxed browser of course). That achieves separation of communications and viewing/editing, but not between communication/storage/search.

11. Peter2150

Then my next question is what you are doing so super secret that it matters. I run Outlook, which I use for my business, under appguard which would prevent damage to my system, we rarely open attachments, and I relax.

12. bo elam

Hi deBoetie, I know your main concern has to do with personal files being stolen. Sandboxie has the settings to keep those files from being compromised. On post 878, I mentioned that Outlook is the only program running in your Outlook sandbox that has access to your mails stored out of the sandbox. No other program running in the Outlook sandbox has access to them. Other programs can not read those mails.

To tighten things up further more, you can set Outlook as the only program allowed access to your personal files or folders. For example, you can make Outlook as the only program in your Outlook sandbox with access to your desktop. And other programs that you allow to run, like your PDF reader or Excel, they don't need internet to work, don't allow this programs internet access. Doing what I am saying in this two short paragraphs makes things really tight.

Bo

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Got a question for Bo or any of the other SB experts. I have used SB for years, paid version. I use it rather simply, only when surfing or using my email client, Thunderbird. I have only used one sandbox, the default, which I immediately delete when finished. The only fancy stuff that I have done is using the restrictions; only Firefox, and Thunderbird, and any of the applications that they need to work, can start in the sandbox or access the Internet.

I like the way that the creator of SB set it up so that your Thunderbird email will be saved even after you have deleted the sandbox. That got me thinking: what if any of the emails contained a virus or Trojan, would the bad guys also get saved? How does that work?

It has been suggested to me by a member of Wilders that I set up a separate sandbox just for my email client. What would be the advantages of that? If that is the recommendation of the experts here, what is the SIMPLE way of doing that for this simple mind.

Thanks more than you will know,
    Acadia

14. Peter2150

Acadia, I am not familiar with thunderbird. Is the file it store the emails in something that only can be read by thunderbird, or can other software read it.

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, this shows you my ignorance. I have not the faintest idea.
    Acadia

16. bo elam

If you got a virus in an attachment, it gets saved out of the sandbox unless your AV detects it and either you or the AV deletes it. This is the way that I look at mails stored in the computer when running programs like Outlook or TB under Sandboxie. The end result is like if you have never opened those mails. That simple, Acadia.

My friend, I am no expert on anything related to computers. Sandboxie? I dont know. Anyway, you should definitively setup a separate sandbox for Outlook. That way you can restrict that sandbox according to what you do when you are running Outlook. You can restrict it more. Remember, sandboxing is isolation and the more that you separate programs from each other, the better.

Bo

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Bo, thanks, you NOT an expert on SB, yeah right.

BUT I don't even have Outlook.

What be a SIMPLE way to created a separate sandbox for Thunderbird?
    Thanks,
    Acadia

18. bo elam

I meant, in your case, Thunderbird.

Bo

19. Peter2150

Hi Bo

Not quite with Outlook. Everything in outlook is stored in one file, Oulook.pst. It pretty much can't be opened by stuff. So if an email contains a virus without running it isn't apparent to an AV. So the Outlook sandbox has to have complete access to the outlook.pst file, it needs internet access, and it also needs to be able to run Microsoft Word, as Outlook uses it.

20. bo elam

You create the new sandbox in:
    Sandboxie control>Sandbox>Create new sandbox

You can name it Thunderbird. Then go to Sandbox settings, set it up to delete on closing. To make TB work with Sandboxie, make to sure you tick Thunderbird in:

Applications>Email reader

And make Thunderbird a Forced program:

Sandbox settings>Program start>Forced programs

Then do a test to make sure that the program is working correctly under SBIE. You can send and receive an email to your self sandboxed, Then, close TB. And afterward, open TB unsandboxed to see if the mails show up in sent and received.

I would then run TB unrestricted for a few days and restrict the sandbox by only allowing to run programs that you use often while using TB. For example, add your browser. If you open PDF files in the sandbox, then allow your PDF reader to run, etc. And keep in mind that programs like the PDF reader, Excel, don't require access to the internet to work. So, don't allow this programs internet.

Bo

21. bo elam

When you setup Outlook to run sandboxed, only Outlook has access to the pst file. Look in Sandbox settings for your Outlook sandbox (Resource access>File access>>Direct access), in the Drop down Window, select Outlook, there you ll see the files that ONLY Outlook has access in that sandbox.

For Word, you dont need to allow it access to the internet.

Bo

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thank you, Bo,
    Acadia

23. bo elam

My joy, Acadia.

Bo

24. 142395

142395 Guest

I said that not because I observed "Sever not found", I find it redirect to 127.0.0.1 via Hosts Server but I'll test it tomorrow as well as SRP(sorry, now I'm sleepy -_-;).

BTW, I can't understand this fuss about MrBrian's posts. This thread is "Sandboxie technical tests and other technical topics discussion thread", right? It is not about "How to use SBIE for secure my system from malware", though it will be hard to draw clear boundary. We, at least Mr Brian and I, are trying to find out how exactly SBIE work. I know Pete and bo are guys who are more wi
    lling to help people, and it's your virtue. Unfortunately, the heaven didn't give that talent for me, instead seems to have given curiosity about fundamentals. I hope you guys understand there're other sense of value in the world. In this thread, I'm only interested in technical things. We may give examples of theoretical risks more, but it doesn't accompany any more intention, I strongly hope you don't read too much into those conversation, though pointing out miss-wording is always welcome (I admit some words in MrBrian's posts can bring confusion or misunderstanding to some user especially newbies, and same can well happen for me).
    Changing hosts enables a process in sandbox can make DNS spoofing which can be risk in some limited situation. Again, I emphasize I don't have much interest in how it is likely or how it can be compared to obvious benefits by SBIE. I only interested in how technically SBIE works, and in this particular case what system parameter SBIE automatically protect while what not. On top of that, any those risk can be prevented by proper access block/read or write only settings, but our finding may be a reference of what to protect by those settings. I once actually added tremendous entries into those settings cuz I didn't know what SBIE automatically protect and what not, but found it causes noticable slowdown so removed most of them. I'm thinking renewal of those settings now.

25. 142395

142395 Guest

That kind of sandboxing will only be possible with Chrome type of sandbox. While Chrome already do similar things for web browsing, I don't know any email client which employ such sandbox.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.