Sandboxie Questions

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TheKid7, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

As of yesterday I now have Sandboxie (Unregistered) on all three of my home PC's. Please answer the following questions:

1. Is the $30 Registration Fee for all PC's in the home or just one PC? It appears to me from Sandboxie's website that the fee is for all PC's in the home.

2. I have set the default sandbox to delete on browser closure. What are some of the easy (for Sandboxie Newbies) tweaks to make Sandboxie more secure?

Thank you.

2. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

1. Any number of computers that you personally own.

2. Maybe not for the newbie but... http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3711

3. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

I think it should be clarified that even the default sandbox is secure. But there are some changes you can make to tighten things up a bit and/or give you an added measure of confidence while surfing. Some suggestions applicable to the free version of Sandboxie that are easy:
    • If you want Sandboxie to alert you everytime your browser is opened unsandboxed: Sandboxie control > select Configure on menu bar > Alert Programs > add your browser's .exe (example: iexplorer.exe)
    • Set up Sandboxie to auto delete contents when the sandbox closes (you've already done this).
    • Restrict internet access to only your browser (keeps other sandboxed programs or malware that you may pick up while surfing...such as keyloggers...from accessing the internet): Sandboxie control > right click on the applicable sandbox > Sandbox settings > Resource access > Internet access > add your browser (example: iexplorer.exe)
    • To block access to any sensitive files or folders while sandboxed: Sandboxie control > right click on the applicable sandbox > Sandbox settings > Resource access > File access > Blocked access > add the file or folder
    • Consider having at least two sandboxes on some of your computers...one being the default and the other one "tighter". You could apply the preceding settings to that one. To set up another sandbox: Right click tray icon > Show window > select Sandbox in the menu bar > Create new sandbox.
    • I like the name of the sandbox that is opened to appear in the Window title bar (assuming you have multiple sandboxes): Sandboxie control > select Sandbox in the menu bar > Create new sandbox.

I'm sure others here at Wilders will have additional suggestions. These are just some initial easy ones that can be implemented without manually editing .ini's.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

MikeNAS is correct. From their faq's: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?FrequentlyAskedQuestions#PersonalUse

5. TheKid7

Thanks Everyone for your help.

I paid my Registration Fee yesterday.

I have just one more question:

1. Does anyone have a "suggested" list of Allowed Programs for general web surfing programs to add to the "Allowed" under the Blocked File Access of Resource Access? I added Firefox and IE7. I then noticed that Java would work but playing swf's (Yahoo Video) would not. I have not yet tested Windows Media Player. I want to make sure that programs other than ones in the list cannot execute.

Thank you.

6. Doodler

Resource Access > File Access > Blocked Access...there is no "allowed" feature. One can add the files one wishes to block, i.e. make inaccessible to programs running in that sandbox. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.

7. TheKid7

I'm sorry, I meant to say:

Resource Access > Internet Access > Specifiy Program(s) to be allowed access to the Internet so that all other programs will not be allowed to access the Internet. I was wondering if anyone has a list of programs that they have added to the Internet Access Allowed program list. I am trying to tighten-up a little on the security. I want to make sure that any malware (i.e. keyloggers) that slip into the sandbox cannot communicate with the Internet.

Thank you.

8. Doodler

The fewer programs added to that list...the better (in my opinion) if your goal is tighter security. I only have one program designated as having internet access in Sandboxie, and that's iexplorer.exe. Windows Media Player works fine and I haven't come across any programs on my system that don't work due to that setting. However, I can't speak to problems about Yahoo Video because I've never used it. I'll try to test it out. Maybe others here can provide their opinions as well.

9. TheKid7

I'm sorry. I think that the problem that I encountered yesterday was just temporary and probably was not related to Sandboxie. Yahoo videos work fine now. I also checked youtube for the first time and it is OK.

Thank you.

10. Doodler

No problem. Glad it's working. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.