Sandboxie questions.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cheater87, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I learned it was compatible with Firefox. How do I install it and use it?

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

cheater87: as for installing it, i suggest closing some security programs, and simply install. Using is quite simple, right click the browser and select run sandboxed.
    The site is very usefull. You could read from there.

Installation Notes
    Getting Started
    Help Topics

Read from here, it's better than any post.:thumb:

3. cheater87

Which ones should I shut down? I have my programs in my signature.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Maybe Prevx1, ST, and Avast! to be sure. They'll return on reboot.
    If you're not so confortable with this, unplug the ethernet cable and plug it again on reboot:D .

I don't know much about it, but i don't know how it acts with ST.

5. cheater87

I'll install it soon. Looks pretty good.

6. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I have not run Avast in a few months, but I remember it having no hips like PG or SSM. No reason to turn Avast off as far as I know.
    Something like Processguard should be made into learning mode and run so on all the user accounts that you are using though until after a few reboots.

7. cheater87

All I have is Real Time protection enabled for Spyware Terminator no HIPS. So is it ok for me to keep Real Time on?

8. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Should be, having said that, installation of sandboxie takes less than 20 seconds, just disable ST's real time shield thru its taskbar icon. As far as I can remember, i installed sandboxie with all security apps running, and encountered no problems.

9. cheater87

So its ok to have them running so they can act as back up?

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

11. Jarmo P

This new 2.80 version of Sandboxie allows bookmark file synchronization between sandboxed Firefox and the real Firefox install.
    No more need to use 'Recover Files' option to export bookmarks to real install if it is desirable to have that auto synch.

To Cheater.
    I did disable PG free and then uninstalled Sandboxie 2.64. And installed the newer, still beta, version. I could have propably also installed SB with PG set to 'learning mode', but SB goes pretty deep into system, so to be sure PG was disabled for this trusted program install.

My other current resident security programs Comodo firewall and Avira Antivir Classic were of course running all the time.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

At the moment I´m very disappointed with SBIE and a lot of other sandbox tools. It looks like the newer versions of SBIE have compatibility problems with my other HIPS: SSM Pro and Neoava Guard. The same thing with GeSWall and DefenseWall, I´m getting tired of these problems. So currently it looks like I´m not going to be able to use any of them, I hope SSM will implement a "sandboxing" feature themselve. :rolleyes:

13. Jarmo P

Sandboxie 2.64 has always worked well with my Processguard.
    Worked also with SSM free, but I disabled anyways Sandboxie control program starting at system start when running SSM.

I would disable any HIPS software when installing a sandboxing software. Same as with windows updates.

No problems also running this 2.80 that I installed today so far together with PG, nor expecting any really.
    And if some problems with some trusted software in general not just SB, it usually helps to put Processguard in learning mode, rebooting etc.
    When system starts, or shuts down, hips's may prevent without a user response being possible some crucial tasks from happening. So I do think learning mode is a saviour in those cases after installing other security software.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have used SSM with GW, DW, SBIE and BZ without problems. Can,t say of NG.

15. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Hi Cheater, You should be fine with ST realtime shield running during installation. Sandboxie won't be on their "threats" list, it might be unknown though, so you could get pop-ups. Just click "allow", no need to tick "remember this action" during installation, but I'd tick that box for a pop-up that occurs when starting it.

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ Jarno P and Aigle

I noticed that with the reg monitor disabled in SSM, I don´t have any system freezing problems anymore. So I now have to figure out what´s causing this. I´ve also temporarily dumped Neoava Guard (I´ll wait for the new version) because it was giving me problems with Maxthon. So now v2.80 is running without any major problems. :thumb:

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s nice to have only ONE clasical HIPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.