sandboxie or OA runsafer ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by thathagat, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thathagat

thathagat Guest

well...can someone explain which is ideal for internet facing programmes....with gaotd OA offer i am using OA+Dr web av5....should i continue with sandboxie 3.38 paid or OA run safer gives ample protection...also i read somewhere that OA webguard does not work with sandboxie....is that the case?

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

IMHO If you're already using Online Armor's firewall and HIPS you should just use their RunSafer, it provides great protection.

3. bollity

bollity Registered Member

Run safer explorer.exe (windows explorer not internet explorer) then logoff and login, now you are a nearly a limited user for most operations, run safer your internet browser too.

4. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

I run my browser and mail-client with Sandboxie and both are set to RunSafer at OA.

OAs Web-Shield doesn't work with a sandboxed browser, but Banking mode works.

Cheers

5. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Just a question here but wouldn't running your browser sandboxed with the Drop rights toogle on in SBIE be the same as RunSafer?

Ice

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

As a generalization, that isn't quite true. Runsafer will protect the system as long as the malware needs administrative rights to do it's deed. But if it doesn't then Run safer does nothing.

I've got several pieces of malware that lower rights doesn't help a bit, but sandboxie protects the system.

Also Run Safer doesn't prevent the malware from getting on the system nor make it easy to delete. Sandboxie does.

I run both of them and the work great together and compliment each other nicely.

Pete

7. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

I don't know if it matters or not but I run a sandboxed browser with OA webshield on and I have no problems whatsoever.

8. subset

subset Registered Member

Yes, but the difference is obviously that the browser must run sandboxed whereas RunSafer works always (as long as OA is running), even if the browser is hijacked by another application.

This doesn't matter much if you force your default browser or mailclient to run sandboxed.
    But if not, RunSafer is the second safeguard.

Cheers

9. IceCube1010

Very good point Subset. Now the light at the end of the tunnel is becoming clear. I don't force the browser, so I will use RunSafer as a safe guard with the sandboxed browser.

thanks
    Ice

10. Peter2150

You are absolutely right. I do force my browser into the sandbox, but there are times I can't, so Run Safer is a good fallback.

11. subset

subset Registered Member

Err... that was only hypothetical. :cautious:
    No, there is no 100% security and also human errors may lead into disaster, like trusting the wrong program.

For example, I have tested some apps with Trojan.Win32.KillAV.yp today.
    Among other things it tries to run the default browser from a batch file with command line parameters (-url "http://www...")
    Browser not forced to run sandboxed + no RunSafer. :ouch:
    But with RunSafer the chance that really bad things happen is relatively small, even if I trust this Trojan.Win32.KillAV.yp (hypothetically...).

RunSafer is set it and forget it, there is no popup for RunSafer and there shouldn't be big problems with browsers or mail-clients etc.

Cheers

12. Someone

Someone Registered Member

How common is it for malware in the wild to be able to bypass lowered rights?
    Thanks

13. Peter2150

Probably not very, although it only takes once. Main thing is to understand the difference, and then you can make a sound judgement.

14. IceCube1010

I like the idea of running the browser sandboxed with OA RunSafer. I see no slow downs combining the two. I have tried this on IE8 and FF3.5b4. Forcing the browser into a Sandbox doesn't sound like a bad idea either. The only issue I had with doing that was when FF issued an update for the browser and I had problems updating the browser. However, I could have downloaded the .exe and installed it that way. Good thread by the way.

Ice

15. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi IceCube1010

Have a look here for a temporary way to disable forced programs. http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?FileMenu#disableforce

After you know Firefox has an update, you can use the above method to disable forced programs and then start Firefox during the allotted time limit you set and update it that way.

16. IceCube1010

thank you innerpeace! Search and you shall find.

Ice

17. thathagat

thathagat Guest

As updating is not possible of forced sandboxed applications until they are run un-sandboxed, so does a similar procedure apply to applications set to runsafer ? so when updating say my browser do i have to run it non sandboxed and runsafer? or are updates possible with runsafer option turned on?

18. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Awesome to have this. I only stumbled on disabling forced programs through a right-click of the sandboxie icon.

Thanks for the link which shows how to set the time limit for disabling forced programs. :thumb:

19. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

20. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Indeed, lots of usability and configurability. Also, and maybe I'll sound like a broken record, but I have so much confidence in the security it provides that it is the only security app running on an old dog of a computer the kids use. for their needs I see no need to even run antirus on it. SB is configured to flush away all leftovers and force their Internet apps in the sandbox. It's a wonderful thing :)

21. IceCube1010

It's funny but your probably right.
    Ice

22. innerpeace

I have tried updating add-ons for firefox (outside the sandbox) with the runsafer option and had no problems. I may have even updated firefox itself but I can't remember :( . I'll have to try it next time I update. Which browser do you use?

23. thathagat

thathagat Guest

main browser opera 9.64 run forced sandboxed+runsafer
    chrome just runsafer....maybe I should also force sandbox it too.
    IE8 only for checking windows updates

24. innerpeace

I don't have either of those to check. Hopefully someone else can confirm if an update is possible with runsafer on.

If you use a program like Returnil, it can be useful while trying new things such as this. If the update or your browser doesn't work then reboot and everything is back to normal.

25. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I use OA paid without AV ver. 2.1.0.131 with Runsafer enabled, and Sandboxie free ver. 3.28.

I update Firefox and Firefox extensions (NoScript, AdBlock Plus, IE Tab and hideBad) outside Sandboxie with Runsafer on. It works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.