Sandboxie & DriveSentry, Great Combo

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by IceCube1010, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Hi

I'm currently trying these 2 as my active realtime defense. So far so good. Has anyone put DriveSentry to a test? Like the idea behind it. Memory in version 3.3 seems better than the previous versions. Any comments would be appreciated.

Ice

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I'm running DriveSentry alongside Geswall as my sandbox. There's no conflict with Threatfire. The three do different things. DS is a classical HIPS, GW is a sandbox and TF is a behavior blocker.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this is a cool security aproach;)

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

drivesentry is not a classical HIPS... i guess you could CONSIDER it a HIPS in a way, but its far from a classical HIPS. sort of a hybrid of a few things.

5. IceCube1010

Not like a classical hips as say Comodo D+ or SSM. How good is the protection with DriveSentry?

Ice

6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

If you mean it lets you compile rules, then the answer is no. But it lets you protect files, folders and the registry and that is enough to define it as an HIPS even by the standards of Comodo D+ or SSM. The protection is thus quite good and when combined with a sandbox, I don't see that you really need much else in the way of PC armor against malware.

7. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I've been testing Drive Sentry Goanywhere on a U3 drive. I've found it unreliable & it sometimes hangs the host pc.

8. firzen771

ive never tried the USB version of DS, only the desktop version, and for the most part it was stable for me.

9. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

It can be classical-like-h.i.p.s if you set it to monitor any registry-file changes other than the default it does on its own i think

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or maybe ligth hips

11. IceCube1010

thanks for all the input. I have to say with previous versions of DS, I had memory issues, not updating correctly etc.. This last version 3.3 seems pretty stable to me. The memory has ranged between 12m-50m. It seems to be at 42m most of the time. That's counting both processes.

Ice

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this is cool there is no more memory leak:D it is fast and more stable around other programs:thumb:

13. firzen771

i wouldnt really consider it a light HIPS cuz its protection and areas of ur system it protects is quite extensive, but they have found a perfect balance of user interaction and protection and DS is a prog i wouldnt classify as only a HIPS, its a hybrid of products which in the end brings an amazing result, it is a great product and i think unique as well.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ofcourse some of every thing(hips,antivirus,antispyware,antirootkit and firewall very soon)i guez you are correct:D

15. firzen771

wat i also like is, their community database seems to be one of the few that is reliable and i personally trust. :D

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.