Sandboxie Cpu Usage

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ellison64, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

2. ellison64

I just uninstalled OSS but it didn't make any difference to version 4 cpu usage.I tested sticky passwords plugin again by removing the addon,and SBIEs cpu usage dropped to 0%.I restarted the sticky passwords addon in firefox and SBIEs cpu usage jumped to 10% ,so im mow 100% sure the conflict is between the sticky password firefox addon and SBIE 4+.The earlier version 3.76 works fine.So my problem is should i stay with 3.76 version? (am i missing much security wise) or use another password manager?.

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Thats probably right. I looked in here but nothing is mentioned about it.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ServicePrograms

I think is a good idea to uninstall OSS and see if Sandboxie CPU usage still takes place afterward. Remember, you should not see any CPU usage from SBIE at any time.

The reason for there being more SbieSvc instances in V4 than V3 is probably because despite both versions looking and feeling the same, underneath, they are two programs that are radically different.

Bo

4. bo elam

If it was me, I would uninstall Sticky password and find a replacement. IMO, version 3.76 is history.

Bo

5. ellison64

That is easier said than done for me.I don't like cloud based password managers,have a personal dislike for roboform due to past licensing issues,and in that context don't know for any other PW manager that works as good as sticky passwords.I just looked at the SBIE version history and cant really see much benefit (in my case) from upgrading from 3.76 ,as later versions seem to be OS 8 orientated,and what i am using on my system seems to work nice with 3.76.Of course a future firefox update or addon update could easily break this.

6. bo elam

The good thing is that now you know whats causing the issue. I think you ought to report the problem at the SBIE and Sticky password forums.

I see there were old issues between SBIE and SP that were resolved by unticking the # marks when running sandboxed. Its possible your issue can be solved with something as simple as that. I suggest you post your Resource access monitor log (done while running Firefox sandboxed) and explain the problem at the SBIE forum. Good luck.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ResourceAccessMonitor

Bo

7. ellison64

Hi Bo
    Yes ive always unticked the # ,but it makes no difference on version 4.I was thinking of posting on SBIE but im not sure if developer is still active there.In the meantime ive just tried keepass with the keefox plugin to auto fill with SBIE 4 and the cpu is 0%.As sticky passwords is not free and future versions of firefox may break my current version ,and keepass is free ,i have some thinking to do.

8. bo elam

Tzuk:cool: is still around. If you post a copy of your Resource access monitor log, he might be able to recommend adding something. Myself, posting about my problems is the reason I don't have any issues running any program sandboxed while using version 4. On a couple of programs, things are not perfect but running all programs that I run sandboxed is done comfortably, no error messages and feels good, as before with version 3.

Bo

9. ellison64

Do you post the logs on the SBIE forum (the log is fairly long) or is there a support address?
    thanks

10. bo elam

You can copy and paste it with your post.

Bo

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I've never seen two instances of SbieSvc running at the same time. And have never seen any of it's services use any CPU. I'm using v 3.76. It works great, I've heard no cases of it being vulnerable and have heard people mention problems with v4, so I'm sticking with what isn't broken. And same with Comodo FW

12. ellison64

The two + instances only seem to have manifested itself in the 4+ version.Using keepass with keefox extension ,i dont get the problems of cpu usage,that i was getting with the sticky passwords plugin.

13. ellison64

Ive opened a thread over there and posted the logs.One good thing to have come out of this for me ,is that im now using keepass.I must admit i didnt like it at first ...basically because i couldnt work out how to use it properly.I then installed the keefox plugin that goes with it ,and it does everything for me that sticky passwords did,as well as not having the sbie conflict :)

14. bo elam

You haven't seen more than one instance of SbieSvc because under the hood, versions 3 and 4 do things differently. LD, version 4 works as well as V3. If I thought differently, I would not be using V4. I use about 13 sandboxes at all times in both oif my computers (Xp and W7) and its extremely rare for me to see any kind of unexpected Sandboxie (error) message.

People using V4 experience the same kind of problems as people using V3, conflicts with other software. The bottom line is that this conflicts can be fixed (on the SBIE side) if using V4 and will not be fixed if using V3. You are in XP (I also have an XP), you are Ok if you want to keep using V3.76 as long as most everything remains static but people using W7, IE10, IE11, people that have their Windows up to date, should use V4. Otherwise, it is likely that there will be error messages or Sandboxie will not work at all as is the case with W8.

Bo

15. bo elam

I saw it, hopefully Tzuk can give you a hand.:)

Bo

16. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Yeah, what you say is some of the reason I don't update it too. I figure most of the updates are Win7/8 compatibility stuff. I can't imagine much more could be done to it with XP in mind. And I've just developed a prerogative in general to not fix what isn't broken without good reason.

When I move on to Win7 I will upgrade to v4, and keep it up to date then. Or at least use the last version Tzuk banged out before selling the company if it's found the new guys aren't doing as good a job.

So for the record... what version would that be? I want to download the installer now to have it.

17. bo elam

Last SBIE version developed by Tzuk? 4.07.05. How do I know that?

For one, it is the last version that has been released. And two, why 4.07.05 was developed and how fast it was developed tells me it comes from Tzuk himself. The following is the story behind 4.07.05: On Dec 10th, after Windows updates for the month came out, SBIE users reported getting SBIE message 2205 (with no apparent error, reason) when running IE 10 or IE11. Tzuk eliminated the message by releasing SBIE 4.07.05 two days later (Dec12th) after confirming from users that the message was meaningless.

For the record (my record;)). 4,07.05 works great in W7 32bits.

Bo

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.