Sandboxie - Best approach?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by RedZero, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedZero

RedZero Registered Member

When using apps like instant messengers and browsers, is it best to:

1. install these apps inside Sandboxie and totally quarantine their activity?

2. install everything on the system the normal way and sandbox the main executable?

If using the first approach, I'm assuming that some things that require system files would break?

Which approach do you currently use or have used that offers the best security?

Thanks!

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Installing inside the sandbox would be messy. Just do a regular install, and then force the browser to open in the sandbox. Then anything the browser does will be sandboxed.

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Pete's right. Install your app normally, (assuming it is safe) and then run it sandboxed. You can set up icons you can click on to automatically run the apps sandboxed. You can also right click an app to run it sandboxed.

When your app/s run sandboxed, anything that is created should be contained unless you specifically allow it to be saved on you machine. An example is keeping your bookmarks/favorites. You can also say what the sandboxed program cannot do such as accessing My Documents.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

RedZero,
    You can also protect your personal data with Sandboxie by
    - locking your data partition completely, if you have one.
    - locking the folders, where your data is stored.
    When you surf on the internet with a sandboxed browser, no malware will be able to steal, read or write in your data folders or data partition.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

All true, but i gone the extra mile in security for storing my sensitive data of importance to a virtual file which like a Locker program, requires only this program to open/read etc., which by the way can be run from USB pen.

The virtual file has a completely eroneous 3 letter extension like sdv and can be moved anyplace. In addition, the virtual file or container as i believe it's referred to, can be formatted NTFS.

I've ofter entertained the idea (but yet to do it), of using it as an FD-ISR archive holder.

SandboxIE, to return to topic, is outstanding! I don't even need to use it regularly although it still runs; (Process (IE) is running outside of sandbox) , unless i'm bot probing for malware or drive-by sample sites as well as local research.

A great containment app no doubt.

6. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Can you name that program?

-MikeNAS

BTW :D

Today's Birthdays
    MikeNAS (25)

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Gosh Mike I hate to see you getting so old "25" Happy birthday.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I can do you one better. Here's the product site. Be advised however, this is shareware not free.

http://www.sgsix.com/products.htm

9. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Thanks EASTER. I test that program and then think what to do. Looks like that page is quite unupdated and version number (2005.1) isn't so promising. Is there any other same kind of programs?

MikeNAS

EDIT: Thanks bigc73542!

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

By now it must be, i got mine long ago but just to bring attention to something of interest going on there, they seem to be ready to spring back into action from the appearance of this Index Page of theirs.

http://www.sgsix.com/index.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.