Sandboxie/Appguard combo

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by marse.robert, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi all

I absolutely love Appguard but I want to use this application with Sandboxie.

I have a lifetime licence with Sandboxie, and as yet, I am using Appguard as a free trial.

I am cognisant of the fact that a conflict might exist between the two Applications: so can they work together?

Marse

2. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

they work together very well if you make some Settings. I ran those programs together for a Long time without any Problems. If I remember correctly the easiest Approach getting These two gems running together was adding the sandboxie processes to power apps in appguard. Then you can add the Sandbox Container file to the User Space tab and set it to "yes". In that way Appguard will also Monitor things going on inside the sandbox

3. marse.robert

Hi Arcanez

Thanks for your reply!

May I ask: if you believed these two applications were/are gems why have you abandoned them? Is your current security better?

Thanks again.

Marse

4. marse.robert

Hi all

For completeness: I do not knowingly visit any "risky" sites.

ith this in mind, would Appguard (locked down), Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials suffice?

If I can get Appguard to work with Sandboxie so much the better: any advice would be appreciated.

Marse

5. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

I still use Appguard but since I changed my operating System to Windows 8 I can no longer use Deepfreeze because it doesn't have Support for Windows 8 yet. I think sandboxie doesn't have Windows 8 Support either. I still own a sandboxie license but personally I think Deepfreeze is just more comfortable. Also reboot times have become even better since I use Windows 8 with my SSD. So it's not a pain if you Need to reboot because of deepfreeze. Sandboxie is still an excellent Piece of Software, no doubt.

It would be sufficient, I currently only run Appguard and the Windows 8 Defender. That's it. I'm just waiting for deepfreeze to come up for Windows 8. Personally I think it would even be sufficient for you to run Appguard and MSE. For webfiltering purposes you can easily add something like Norton connectsafe. Thats just personal Preference. But if you want to run Appguard MSE and MBAM it's ok. It's solid protection.

I would use Appguard and Sandboxie together definitely and if you Need a realtime AV just add MSE and you're pretty much bulletproof.

6. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Marse,

See here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=310812 for similar discussion.

Depends on OS and x64 vs x32 what you have to do to build compatibility but as you suspect it is a killer combo. Covered off in the above thread.

Key is that the Sandboxie container has to be excluded from system space in AppGuard or moved to user space. On x64 systems you then have to add the following to AppGuard Power Apps:

sandboxierpcss.exe
    sandboxiedcomlaunch.exe
    sandboxiecrypto.exe

They will work together with just that but to cut down on AppGuard alerts also add SbieCtrl.exe to Power Apps.

Cheers

7. marse.robert

Chris1341

I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

I have added: sandboxierpcss.exe, sandboxiedcomlaunch.exe and sandboxiecrypto.exe

I have added sandbox control to guarded applicationsas

If this is correct, as I have Sanboxie stopping the deleting of the default Sandox.

Is this correct?

Marse

PS: Entered sandboxie and left a notepad message on my desk top: came out of sandboxie control and the notepad message remained on my desktop

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Marse,

Looks right but you have to make sure the sandbox container (C:\Sandbox) is moved to user space or added to AppGuard exclusions. Instructions below.

.....you can move the container to user space by opening Sandboxie Control, dropping down the Sandbox menu and selecting 'Set Sandbox Container' from the list and pick a location on another partition or in the User folder. Done. It will now work with AppGuard.

Or leave the Sandbox in the default location and open AppGuard GUI - go to Guarded Apps tab, press the Settings button, then add, navigate to C:\Sandbox and select. When added to the list click the 'deny access' next to it and a drop down will allow you to select read/write. Click Ok and OK and you're done. AppGuard will then allow apps to write to the container.....

If that's done all should be well.

Cheers

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

AppGuard plus Sandboxie makes a very strong security setup indeed. :thumb:

10. marse.robert

Hi all

An update!

I have configured Appguard according to "chris`34" advice (thankyou),

Everything seems to be fine but I am receiving huge amounts of messages informing me that Appguard is preventing internet explorer from writing to C:\Sand box....temporary internet files and C:\Sandbox...user current favorites.

Is this OK?

Regards

Marse

11. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Hi Marse.

No it shouldn't be giving you those messages. It suggests you haven't given write permissions to C:\Sandbox in AppGuard. Can you confirm you have read/write in the Guarded Apps tab> settings screen against the C:\Sandbox folder?

Thanks

12. marse.robert

Hi chris1341

Thanks for getting back.

I have C:\Program Files\sandboxie in the guarded apps, settings.

Is this correct?

Marse

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. marse.robert

Hi Chris

My fault: I have changed C:\program files\sandboxie to C:\sandbox - and no messages.

Thanks again

Marse

14. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

No problem, glad you got it working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.