Sandboxie and Windows 8 (64bit)

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Osaban, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've recently installed Sandboxie on my new machine running Windows 8 (64bit). On his website Tzuk stated that at the moment Sandboxie will protect Windows 8 (64bit) but it will somewhat be weaker than for example on Vista and Windows 7' 64bit versions. He talks about "limited protection" and no "Experimental Protection feature". How limited is "limited"? On the other hand there was no notification of incompatibility from Windows 8 on my machine.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  2. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

My understanding is that the Experimental Protection that worked around Kernal Patch Protection in Vista and 7 could not be replicated on the Win 8 kernal therefore the theoretical gaps in SBIE protection prior to EP on x 64 systems are still evident on Win 8 at 3.76 or lower.

The issue pre-EP was that SBIE could not effectively prevent something writing out of the sandbox under particular circumstances because of KPP restrictions. This was more theoretical than actually happening in the wild as far as I recall and was effectively mitigated by dropping rights in the sandbox.

Version 4 resolves this issue without EP or drop rights across all Windows platforms. The beta still has some issues but might be worth a try if you're concerned. I'm running with it now and my only issues are with Office 2013, other than that it is stable for me.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks Chris, your explanation is reassuring, and it's good that version 4 will address this issue.

4. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Osaban, I pretty much agree with Chris' explanation. However, re the v4 beta, I'm having other issues, especially with IE 10 where it will freeze(lock-up) IE for a while, whereas I have no such problems with v3.76 on the same PC. I would advise waiting for the v4 final release.

Cruise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.