Sandboxie and what else?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Page42, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

If your going to go that route make sure PrevX is compatible. I think I saw some issues with PrevX in sandboxie with the SOL module or something. May be a figment of my imagination.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i'm no expert but i think not much beside Sandboxie is needed.
    especially if there is only one person using the computer.

i'm one to think the less of these bloody security apps running the better it is. ;)

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You're quite right. SOL is even listed on the Sandboxie site as a Known Conflict.
    Back when I was putting Prevx on my computers, I always did the install sans SafeOnline. I was running GeSWall Pro at the time also, and considered SOL to be unnecessary with GW. If I do go back to Prevx, my plan would be to do the installs once again without SOL, i.e with (/prop SECUREB=N) on the commandline. :)

5. m00nbl00d

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Well, I thought I'd better report back, since a lot of you posted suggestions.

I'm a little embarrassed to say that Sandboxie was more than I had expected, from a configuration perspective. I am basically keeping it on my machine for occassional use, just for browsing right now. I know that I am under-utilizing this program... I know how awesome its protection must be, but I was having a tough time with the learning curve. Just getting my Outlook Express email client properly configured turned out to be a PITA, and I never could locate the 'Test Email Configuration' link I saw in the Help Topics.

To be honest, the whole program looks like a college course could be offered on how to configure it... and I'm nowhere close to being one of the upper echelon guys who hardens it into perfection. Maybe it just wasn't my night, but a couple hours of tinkering with it basically just frustrated me. I couldn't even successfully rename the DefaultBox... that's how bad it went for me.

Like I said, it's a bit embarrassing, because I read member's posts, and everyone says how easy Sandboxie is. I think what it really comes down to for me is that the settings do not seem intuitive. None of it seems to flow, or make sense, or have a natural order and place.

For now, I've set it not to start with Windows, and I'll just open it from time to time. Maybe I'll regain some enthusiasm for it after awhile. :doubt:

7. m00nbl00d

Hmmm...

If you go to the sandbox settings - Applications - E-mail clients - double-click Outlook Express should make everything work OK.

Note: I've translated from my language to English, so I don't know if the wording is exactly the same... but, at least 99% similar. :D

Report back... Just don't give up yet of Sandboxie. ;)

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Email is working now.
    I'm creating multiple sandboxes... one for browser, email, pdf reader and media player.
    I've had more luck with the configuration in the last hour.
    I know it's a killer program. I just gotta take it slow. :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Any suggestions for this?
    I have created four sandboxes.
    I am not starting SBIE with Windows.
    Two boxes I can open easily with a couple of clicks.
    The other two (pdf reader and media player) do not have drop-down menu choices I can easily click on to open them...
    I end up having to browse to them.
    Is there a way to alter the drop-down menu pictured in the screenie so that those two other boxes are listed?
    Or another way to quickly open the foxit reader and wm_player sandboxes?

Attached Files:

10. m00nbl00d

That's odd. What version are you running? I'm running latest beta version in Windows 7 Ultimate x86. I know you're using XP. It could be a bug.

Still, you can force a program/folder to run automatically in a sandbox. Right-click the sandbox -> Sandbox Settings -> Start/Run Program -> Pick whether you wish to force a program or a folder. Folder takes precedence over a process.

-Edit-

Better thinking, I think I'm not understanding what you mean. It's not suppose for the indication to Run PDF Reader or Media Player when right-clicking a sandbox to be there. Is this what you're aiming? Those are two predefined settings (email and browser). Unless I've been missing it all this time, it's not possible to change that to whatever we want.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

The two easiest ways to use Sandboxie:

1. have Sandboxie control window open > drag/drop item onto window, choose which box to start in.

2. right click on file or shorcut, choose RunSandboxed > choose which box to start in.

If you don't force programs, you must tell them which box to run in. Once you force a program to start in a specific sandbox (as m00nbl00d told) then you start that program as normal and Sandboxie does the rest for you.

Sul.

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi m00nbl00d
    Okay, got it... but what about, another way to quickly open the foxit reader and wm_player sandboxes (given that I am not starting SBIE with Windows)? What I mean is, if I was always running SBIE, my settings would be such that whenever I opened a PDF file or a media player file, one of those sandboxes would open. But using SBIE 'on demand', I'd like to be able to open one of those two boxes as quickly as I can currently open the browser and email boxes. Making sense yet? :)

Edit in: I think Sul answered my question, m00nbl00d. :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Okay, Sul. I see it now. Your reply helped. :thumb:

14. m00nbl00d

There's been quite sometime since I stopped using Sandboxie the way you want, but there's a faster way to start the apps you wish under their respective sandbox. I don't remember if it would suffice to have Sandboxie's service set to Manual start.

You could try to set it to Manual, and then, considering you already have a sandbox for the app you wish, just start the app.

If that doesn't work, try with its service set to Automatic... perhaps even Automatic (Delayed Start) (something like that).

I do remember that, initially, I had Sandboxie running just like that. I just don't remember what was or not needed to make it work OK that way.

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

SBIE service is currently set to manual start. :)
    I'll keep looking at it.
    I don't know if I am adequately explaining what I am doing and what I would like to see happen.
    Thanks for trying to help!

16. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I have created a separate sandbox and have enforced IE, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera for force start, but it does not enforce them in its sandbox even sandboxie is already started. Any idea?

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I have a very important question...
    does the Sandboxie icon SBIE icon.png remind anyone of a slice of pepperoni pizza?

18. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

Yes...In fact, my wife had said that. :D

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I asked on the Sandboxie forum if Online Armor's Run Safer interferes with Sandboxie's Drop Rights.
    tzuk's response was, "As far as I know, it does not interfere."

Visually, I noticed this...

with OA's Run Safer & SBIE's Drop Rights enabled, when I open IE in a sandbox, OA's green border (indicating Run Safer is working) is no longer present around the edge of the browser window.

Checking IE in Process Explorer with and without IE sandboxed, I see different security properties displayed, though I suspect that both displays mean the same thing:

With IE sandboxed there is no Administrators Group.
    Without IE sandboxed, the Administrators Group is shown, but with Deny, Owner flag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.