Sandboxie and uTorrent?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by newbold, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbold

newbold Registered Member

Last year there was a thread about Sandboxie and uTorrent.

Here's a quoted post from it:

I haven't figured out how to actually DO that as the actual physical keystrokes, clicks, or commands are beyond my knowledgeset.

Can someone point me towards a step by step instruction guide to do this in Windows7?

I hope this isn't out of line as a first post at this forum.

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I have never used Utorrents but I can tell you how to give "File access" to the folders mentioned in the old thread that you quoted in your post.

Click on Sandboxie control, navigate to:

1)Sandbox>Default box>Sandbox settings>Resource access>File access>
    direct access, click on "Add", navigate to your your download folder and add it.

2)Sandbox>Default box>Sandbox settings>Resource access>File access>
    direct access, click on "Add", navigate to your uTorrent folder in the AppData folder and add it.

Like I said, I know nothing about Torrents but if you follow the instructions you ll be allowing file access to the two folders mentioned in the old thread.

HTH

Bo

3. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Hi newbold, welcome to the forum.

When it comes to Sandboxie you'll find what we all know - Bo knows. His instructions will get the job done.

My own settings for my P2P sandbox force uTorrent to run in its own Sandbox, only allow uTorrent and my media player to start, only allow uTorrent to gain internet access from that box, has no quick recovery but opens a file path to a folder I created called D:\Sandboxed P2P Downloads\ and in turn force anything that runs in that folder to run sandboxed.

If that's an approach that would suit you but you're unclear how to achieve it I can PM the entry from my config file with a note of the entries you'll need to add your personal file locations etc. Pasting these into your Sandboxie config file would set the sandbox up for you without going through the settings if that helps. Fun working it out for yourself though!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2012
  4. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

This is the only inconvenience i have with sandboxie :(
    It would be cool if, sandboxie would ignore and save certain file types to real folder e.g;

download and save a x.torrent in my /downloads folder.. Sandboxie would automatically recover the x.torrent file to the real unsandboxed /downloads folder.

Then, I could - in my torrent client, grant direct access to my downloads folder and enable automatic loading of torrent files. Then it would be ZERO hassle of downloading torrents :)

So in other words, it would be useful if sandboxie allowed automatic recovery of specific file types.... But for a long while now you can't make feature requests on the sandboxie forums :'(

5. newbold

newbold Registered Member

Thanks for your help with this. I soon after setting up my P2P software remembered that the Opera browser also handless torrent files and made sure to add that information as well and set my default browser to Opera so I could just run a sandboxed browser that would do everything I'd want in one shot.

I think the reasonable next step is finding a sandbox option that automatically launches in sandbox mode. I understand that sandboxie does this on the registered license. When I get fed up with the extra clicks I'll be sure to exercise my options.

I probably would have figured it all out eventually but I have been so frustrated by my hanging computer and only time will tell what my problem is.

I want to rule out the internet if it's a hardware issue.

6. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Hey mate what seems to be the problem with the hanging computer? If you want to go in detail I'm sure we could resolve the issue with you, either here or at the sandboxie forums.

Sandboxie has a very loyal user base.. that says something doesn't it? :p Wilders members change security more often than they change their underpants, yet sandboxie seems to stay on :cool: Never once regretted purchasing sandboxie and would buy another license without hesitation

7. Bert02

Bert02 Registered Member

i use sandboxie and have a few annoyances with using utorrent

if i set sandboxie to have direct access to my utorrent folder can i load magnet links in a sandboxed web browser into my unsandboxed utorrent?

1 workaround i have is setup an auto start folder for utorrent and then when i download the torrent file and i get the immediate recovery box up, i have the auto start folder as an option in the destination directories, select that and it recovers into my auto start folder and utorrent starts downloading it
    actually easier than how i used to do torrents

8. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Hi Bert02, Welcome to the foums.

Not sure I'm following what you;re trying to achieve. Is it the same issue as this?

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13620

9. Bert02

Bert02 Registered Member

yes i want to be able to click a magnet link within the sandboxed web browser (firefox) and load it in the unsandboxed utorrent

it used to work with vuse if it was running when the magnet link was clicked if not it would open a sandboxed version of vuse

10. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Not sure you'll be able to do that. The whole point if SBIE is to contain what is spawned from the sandboxed application within the sandbox.

The Reflector tool highlighted would allow you to open uTorrent in its own seperate sandbox but not un-sandboxed I would think.

Out of interest why don't you run uTorrent sandboxed with Direct Access to your torrrent download/upload folder? Does that not work for you?

Thanks

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I am not a big torrent user, but do notice it being used more and more by all kinds of places. Must save on bandwidth for them I guess.

Anyway, I use uTorrent when I do need it. I just install it to my browser sandbox.

Let me ask a question to those discussing this topic. Which route are you taking
    - sandbox uTorrent but allow unsandboxed browser to access
    - sandbox browser but allow it to access unsandboxed uTorrent
    - sandbox both browser and uTorrent
    - want to write downloaded torrents to non sandboxed location

I haven't fully developed my sandbox use for torrents yet. Like I said, I install uTorrent to a specific browser sandbox. The rate at which I see things now available as torrents though means I am going to have to make some decisions at some point. So, I am wondering what you here are thinking exactly, what needs sandboxed or not and why.

Sul.

12. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I sandbox both browser and utorrent.
    Each have separate sandbox.

13. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Me too. uTorrent downloads folder is also forced to sandboxed with only media player allowed to execute.

14. Bert02

Bert02 Registered Member

i have other programs that run after utorrent has downloaded a file that then renames and moves it to my server

currently its auto download
    auto rename
    auto move

the magnet link is handy when browsing but id rather put up with as is than change my setup atm.

utorrent doesnt even need to be installed so you can just run it portable (utorrent forums show you what to do or google it) that way you can just run the utorrent portable in whatever sandbox is running at the time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.